News:

<+Clu> have you tried barbecuing the computer

Main Menu

Started by Thirteenthorder, July 23, 2009, 07:07:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macawmoses

Quote from: Jono2 on July 24, 2009, 11:00:06 PM
hmm.  I didn't know that.  At the same time though, people believe that Mayans predicted the end of the world, which is complete bull.  It's like saying that Stonehenge has some sort of scientific purpose today.
The issue is, from what we know, the Mayans had an uncanny knack of "guessing" correctly. For instance, they predicted a "fair skinned God" coming on a certain date, and they were (apparently) correct - as it matched the day white man met up with them (points to whomever knows who this person is).

Now, there are other beliefs that also match this. The Mayan calendar one just seems to be the most popular. The I-Ching theory is one of my favorites, as it was a fortune telling system in ancient China. Flip coins, match results, and there is your voodoo for the day. Then, the great man McKenna made up a plot of all the possibilities, which just so happened to coincide with items like the start of the World Wars. 2012 (December) marked the end of his graph.

Ultimately, I feel it is all bullpoop. Why? If the world does end...who cares? You won't, as you're dead. If it continues to live, well, I can say "I told you so." Opposed to believing it and being proven wrong. Really, it doesn't matter. If it happens, we won't know. So why care?

HTA!

It was Cortrez to the best of my knowledge... although there was also another Spanish explorer... what was his name...

Anyway, 2012 is BS.
Just look at things like y2k and Rapture.

Not that I don't believe maybe Rapture could happen... but it was supposed to occur 2000 years after the birth of Christ.

Didn't happen.

Jono2

Quote from: Mace on July 26, 2009, 06:43:58 PM
The issue is, from what we know, the Mayans had an uncanny knack of "guessing" correctly. For instance, they predicted a "fair skinned God" coming on a certain date, and they were (apparently) correct - as it matched the day white man met up with them (points to whomever knows who this person is).

Now, there are other beliefs that also match this. The Mayan calendar one just seems to be the most popular. The I-Ching theory is one of my favorites, as it was a fortune telling system in ancient China. Flip coins, match results, and there is your voodoo for the day. Then, the great man McKenna made up a plot of all the possibilities, which just so happened to coincide with items like the start of the World Wars. 2012 (December) marked the end of his graph.

Ultimately, I feel it is all bullpoop. Why? If the world does end...who cares? You won't, as you're dead. If it continues to live, well, I can say "I told you so." Opposed to believing it and being proven wrong. Really, it doesn't matter. If it happens, we won't know. So why care?

the thing is, when McKenna plotted the points between "findings" of the I-Ching... it was years after the world wars.

Cracked.com, although a humor site, shows how sad 2012 theories actually are.

Quote from: LinkXLR on January 30, 2008, 09:10:54 PM
Quote from: famy on January 30, 2008, 08:36:30 PM
is big willy unleashed a will smith game

...I'm not even gonna touch this one.

SteamID: Lazylen

Thirteenthorder

Hrm. So then if Earth ended with this final Great cycle, and the Mayans predicted as such, do you think the theory of Evolution is indeed a justified theorem of chance, or do you think it was planned to both begin and end?
When you're not lookin'...

Shujinco2

Quote from: KingBoo on July 26, 2009, 10:06:24 AM
All the theories can easily shut down. Personally I don't think we should be taking our prophecies by someone who was wiped out anyways. Sure, there's other theories, but most of those are even cookier. The one thing I am worried about however on that day (December 21) is the people that do believe in this stuff and decide to commit crimes and such. Chances are there will be at least one thing. And probably a few suicides. I'll laugh at those people.
What if THAT is what brings around the end of the world though?

Quite personally, I think it's Hoo-ha. Then again, it never was wise to assume it won't happen. So I'll prepare, just in case.

It still most likely won't happen though. I believe everything on it has been stated already, so I see no need to add to it.

RX-78-2

Why are you (or any for that matter) people discussing 2012 now? ???? Shouldn't there be hype in 2012? I don't get it. Why would someone think that the world would end just because of an old calendar? Calendars do go in cycles and most are based on farming/the four seasons/astrology/astronomy etc. I don't think it'll end. Maybe a volcano will erupt and kill a village or something, but the world will not end.

So... who started the hype this year?
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

Mutilator7

I agree that 2012 will just be another year. The end will start out with the rapture and the rise of the anti-christ.

Thirteenthorder

I am particularly concerned because it's the day after my birthday, and the end of the world is not a nice present to give  =|
When you're not lookin'...

Zero

Quote from: Back to TerribleFrog on July 29, 2009, 01:30:41 PM

So... who started the hype this year?

It's been theorized for quite a while now actually. Not just recently. It's only just recently that people are starting to get suckered into it without doing any research.

http://www.cracked.com/article_17445_6-best-2012-apocalypse-theories-are-all-bullpoop.html

RX-78-2

Quote from: Zero on August 17, 2009, 12:50:53 PM
It's been theorized for quite a while now actually. Not just recently. It's only just recently that people are starting to get suckered into it without doing any research.

http://www.cracked.com/article_17445_6-best-2012-apocalypse-theories-are-all-bullpoop.html

Thanks, but I know that. I mean, who started to tell everyone about it and make them hyped up, anxious, superstitious, etc.? Why should there be any hype about it now? It's not 2012. It's not even 2011, let alone 2010. Wouldn't people start to worry about it in 2011 and 2012? Why did they start worrying now? That's my question.

Zero

Quote from: Back to TerribleFrog on August 17, 2009, 07:35:37 PM
Thanks, but I know that. I mean, who started to tell everyone about it and make them hyped up, anxious, superstitious, etc.? Why should there be any hype about it now? It's not 2012. It's not even 2011, let alone 2010. Wouldn't people start to worry about it in 2011 and 2012? Why did they start worrying now? That's my question.

They started worrying now because 3 years is an incredibly short time to a lot of people. As humans we typically fear death, so you see where I'm going with this. It was bound to happen eventually, it just so happens that it happened sooner than later, is all.

As for who actually is to blame for all of this, I'm not sure. If you dig far back enough you could probably find the root of the theory but you probably couldn't figure out who started spreading it around recently. More than likely, it just traveled by word from random person to random person until the theory came to be common knowledge. The same thing happened with the whole June 6th, 2006 thing. People talked about it for up to two years until the date actually came from what I remember.

RX-78-2

Quote from: Zero on August 17, 2009, 10:29:20 PM
They started worrying now because 3 years is an incredibly short time to a lot of people. As humans we typically fear death, so you see where I'm going with this. It was bound to happen eventually, it just so happens that it happened sooner than later, is all.

As for who actually is to blame for all of this, I'm not sure. If you dig far back enough you could probably find the root of the theory but you probably couldn't figure out who started spreading it around recently. More than likely, it just traveled by word from random person to random person until the theory came to be common knowledge. The same thing happened with the whole June 6th, 2006 thing. People talked about it for up to two years until the date actually came from what I remember.

Thanks. But if that's it, I think people are way too superstitious, in a bad way. I believe in ghosts, spirits, cryptids, mythical beasts, etc., but not this. I think any of those have a bigger possibility of being real than this. Besides, it's fun to believe in those things. It's okay to believe in any of it (including this theory), but just as some people might laugh at me for my beliefs, to those who believe in this world-ending theory, I laugh at theirs.

Kayo

Nothing happened the last few times this was predicted. And just because a calendar stopped doesn't mean the world has to stop, too. The world will only end in 5 billion years when the Sun inflates into a Red Giant and burns our planet to a crisp. :-\
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Super

This reminds me of the Y2k scare.

People thought "OH MY GOD, BAD SHIT IS GONNA HAPPEN! AAAAAA COMPUTERS AAAAAA MISSILES AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

As I recall, the only bad thing that occurred in 2000 was when George Bush became president.

Anyway, I still think people will make a big issue of this and try to prepare for their supposed doom and be disappointed and wrong.

The 2012 doomsday idea is as silly as astrology. Simple bullpoop.

Zero

Quote from: Back to TerribleFrog on August 18, 2009, 12:41:53 PM
Thanks. But if that's it, I think people are way too superstitious, in a bad way. I believe in ghosts, spirits, cryptids, mythical beasts, etc., but not this. I think any of those have a bigger possibility of being real than this. Besides, it's fun to believe in those things. It's okay to believe in any of it (including this theory), but just as some people might laugh at me for my beliefs, to those who believe in this world-ending theory, I laugh at theirs.

lol mythical beasts. The chances of this supposed "doomsday" coming to pass far exceed the possibilities of mythical beasts existing. Namely because mythical beasts don't exist, period. Not to mention that in 2012, who knows, an asteroid could strike the planet, and that is a very real possibility.  In fact, this is a possibility every waking moment of our lives. I pray that you know the meaning of the word "myth".

You're absolutely right. Obviously people are way too superstitious. Not to mention, gullible.