News:

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

Main Menu

Started by Thirteenthorder, July 23, 2009, 07:07:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RX-78-2

Quote from: Zero on August 18, 2009, 10:02:08 PM
lol mythical beasts. The chances of this supposed "doomsday" coming to pass far exceed the possibilities of mythical beasts existing. Namely because mythical beasts don't exist, period. Not to mention that in 2012, who knows, an asteroid could strike the planet, and that is a very real possibility.  In fact, this is a possibility every waking moment of our lives. I pray that you know the meaning of the word "myth".

You're absolutely right. Obviously people are way too superstitious. Not to mention, gullible.

Note that I said "I think". Besides, there have been many sightings in many places of various "mythical" beasts and cryptids. Maybe I shouldn't have used that word. I think you misunderstood me. I don't believe that minotaurs, centaurs, or the like are real. I do believe that aliens, Bigfoot, the Abominable Snowman/Yeti, El Chupacabra, Loch Ness Monster (not by the faked photograph) etc. have a chance of being real. I like to think that they are merely because science, let alone anything else, has not proven otherwise. People have tried hoaxes and things, but the evidence just shows that there's more of a possibility of these things being real or having existed than not being real/never having existed. This is just a personal belief, not an argument, or it would be breaking the rules.  See "Topic: [READ BEFORE POSTING ON SD AGAIN] Forum Issues/User Pact" under Arguments from Ignorance

Anyway, back on topic.

Even if a meteor did hit the Earth, how could it be proven that it was part of the Mayan calendar's prediction? You said it yourself, "an asteroid could strike the planet, and that is a very real possibility". Couldn't that be just a coincidence?
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

Zero

Quote from: Back to TerribleFrog on August 19, 2009, 05:59:19 PM
Note that I said "I think". Besides, there have been many sightings in many places of various "mythical" beasts and cryptids. Maybe I shouldn't have used that word. I think you misunderstood me. I don't believe that minotaurs, centaurs, or the like are real. I do believe that aliens, Bigfoot, the Abominable Snowman/Yeti, El Chupacabra, Loch Ness Monster (not by the faked photograph) etc. have a chance of being real. I like to think that they are merely because science, let alone anything else, has not proven otherwise. People have tried hoaxes and things, but the evidence just shows that there's more of a possibility of these things being real or having existed than not being real/never having existed. This is just a personal belief, not an argument, or it would be breaking the rules.  See "Topic: [READ BEFORE POSTING ON SD AGAIN] Forum Issues/User Pact" under Arguments from Ignorance

Anyway, back on topic.

Even if a meteor did hit the Earth, how could it be proven that it was part of the Mayan calendar's prediction? You said it yourself, "an asteroid could strike the planet, and that is a very real possibility". Couldn't that be just a coincidence?

Sightings don't necessarily mean anything, considering what people will do for attention, and how crazy some people are. At any rate, yeah I assumed you meant "mythic", as in Unicorns and Leprechauns, etc. Which HAVE been proven not to exist, simply because mythical beings are tied to something called "mythology" which is completely fabricated. Bigfoot and the like aren't really considered mythical, they're sort of like folk legends I guess. Not sure what to call them.

That aside and done with...

You misunderstand me. I was just pointing out the possibility. It would more than likely just be a coincidence.

RX-78-2

Quote from: Zero on August 19, 2009, 06:17:30 PM
Sightings don't necessarily mean anything, considering what people will do for attention, and how crazy some people are. At any rate, yeah I assumed you meant "mythic", as in Unicorns and Leprechauns, etc. Which HAVE been proven not to exist, simply because mythical beings are tied to something called "mythology" which is completely fabricated. Bigfoot and the like aren't really considered mythical, they're sort of like folk legends I guess. Not sure what to call them.

That aside and done with...

You misunderstand me. I was just pointing out the possibility. It would more than likely just be a coincidence.

Okay. Good thing it'd be a coincidence. I don't want those astrologer horoscope-type people saying "I told you so" when the world ends.

About the sightings though, yes, some people will do anything for attention and/or are not in their right mind, but there are just too many sightings for that to be every case. Bigfoot and the like are called a term I previously used: cryptids. Some cryptids can be part of folk legends, tall tales, etc., and that is usually the case when a group of people suspect the existence of an extraordinary organism but can't prove it. A cryptid (lol watch The Secret Saturdays) is an organism that is suspected to exist or have existed, but its existence has not yet been proven (or dis-proven) by science or any other means. Science can't explain everything. Miracles are usually the happenings in this case. It's the same principle for them.
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

Spam

I believe it's a wildly told story and is only use to scare people, it's just a trick of the media. 

Lohn Jocke

A person on another forum by the name of BlasphemousApples13 had a different theory for what is going to happen in 2012...
Quote from: BlasphemousApples13
Scientists say that every couple of decades, there's a storm on the surface of the sun. Usually, some of these waves of solar flares get thrown outward and hit earth's magnetic field. No damage is done to earth, but if it hit our major grids, we'd be hurled a hundred years back into the past. Transformers would be melted and blown and power would possibly be out for weeks. Most likely even more. This is the exact opposite of a natural disaster. People with more technological advancements are at greater risk while less advanced areas are at a lesser risk. We could get power back up and fix the grids, but it would take a lot of work and a lot of time. There's also a visible effect too. In the last coronal mass ejection, there were lights in the sky similar to the Aurora Borealis. In Mexico.
Indeed, it can be taken as bad news, but it's not the end of the world.
How he somehow figures it's going to happen in 2012? I have no idea. :S

Doodle

A disaster could happen at anytime. A disaster being linked to 2012 would just be a coincidence, if one actually happened then. Which is unlikely.
YEAH

The Riddler

Quote from: ◔ ◡ ◔ on September 01, 2009, 09:38:47 PM
A disaster could happen at anytime. A disaster being linked to 2012 would just be a coincidence, if one actually happened then. Which is unlikely.
If one happens on December 21, 2012, it's more than a coincidence.

Sure, it's unlikely, but if it was predicted ages ago for that specific date, something mystical is going on.

To say it's just a coincidence is just ignorant.

Allegretto

Quote from: Tahrann on July 25, 2009, 06:09:49 PM
Personally, I think 2012 is just going to be another year. There have been people who had worried about the end of the world around 1900, then others around some odd years, then those that were saying y2k, and finally those who are saying that 2012 is going to be the end of the world. Personally, I believe all of them have been scare tactics sore some moron who thinks it would be funny to worry as many people as possible and see them scurry like ants that had water poured on their ant hill. I agree with many that that is when the calendar will reset and that will be it, but if I am wrong, then I am wrong. Worrying wont stop the end of the world.
Agreed. I might be more terrified of 2012 if we had not already made false predictions of the Apocalypse beforehand. However with all of our mistakes on this theory already, I believe it is just hype. Nothing will happen, however the movie does look interesting.

Crispy Cobalt

If disaster comes, then it comes.

When will it hit us? Who knows.

Just because you feel that they are false predictions that won't happen, doesn't mean you should just throw your insults saying: "That will never happen because it's filled with blasphemy and is an unintelligent thought".

That's like saying rain will never happen because it's always sunny.

But why are you guys so worried about something that has not even happened yet?

It will happen whenever it happens.

All we can really do is enjoy life to it's fullest.

Don't need to be prepared for anything really.

Kilroy

Quote from: Friendly Hostile on July 24, 2009, 06:07:15 PM
I hope you all realize that the Mayan calender is cyclical and doesn't ever truly end.  It just starts over again.
Which, if I've learned correctly, means the end of the world for us, followed by the start of a new world for another race.

There have been like 5 different "worlds" in the Mayan Calendar, and we're the 5th one. Every time the Mayans go through a cycle, the current dominant race dies out, and starts anew with a different dominant race. I think the dominant race before Humans were Turtles or something.
1984 WAS SUPPOSED TO BE AN INSTRUCTION NOT MANUAL
"yes you are anusface, but i am better than!!" - taw, steam forums
 FOR NSF MASCOT

Dark Dragon

In a spiritual sense of way, it's more like Evolution. ( not of what exist physically, but Mindful).

it's there on the Mayan calendar. ( and I don't mean the Gregorian calendar).

and as for the fifth world Kilroy, I think that's true. since we started from cave mans to romans, and such and such that became out of date.
Check my art out on DA.

http://foxphantom21.deviantart.com/
(and don't be insulted if you find a Pic that I did. XP)

Light

Based on my religious beliefs (Catholicism), the world will not end in December of 2012. We as human beings are not to know the time or day on which the world is destroyed.
Holy crap all my sigs were always poop. Best leave this space alone.

L10

Probably just going to be another year.

But maybe because of all the hype, people will panic and in panic create the end of the world on their own.

Either way, I kinda hope some sort of excitement to make things interesting. Or maybe some sort of disaster that leads to having a life full of adventure as lame as that sounds.
0o!f

Gwen Khan

I'm more worried it will end with mass suicides, like the Heaven's Gate cult

Chris8492

Nahh...but there has been some talk of an asteroid heading toward earth. On Friday, April 13, 2029, an asteroid will pass by earth and will later return near Earth 7 years later in 2036. It has a 3-100 probability of hitting Earth. But this information isn't final.

(Yeah the Friday the 13Th thing may seem kinda ironic for you superstitious out there).

This is a true fact. It's name is Apophis.

I think the whole thing on 12/21/12 is the date they find it will hit the Earth on 4/13/36