News:

<+Clu> im 100% nigga

Main Menu

NSider English Class

Started by Sillyri, January 21, 2008, 01:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Headroom

Quote from: THEEVILSPERKY on January 22, 2008, 04:05:50 AM
I find "txt tlk" as a way of training your brain to augment English and not for the better.

You play what you practice, and if what you do is type poorly all the time on here (the internet), you'll find yourself having trouble when it comes to putting together something presentable.

Also, it just plain makes you look stupid or uneducated when you can't form proper English.

It creates an image about yourself, and I care to be taken seriously and be respected for my opinions.  I take pride in such things.  Typing properly is a priority of mine when making a point.
You are a dumbass. Who in the right mind would "txt tlk" on a school assignment? The internet is the same as a school break (to the students), which is why they "txt tlk" on the internet. Also, are you calling foreigners stupid? Just because they can't "talk like professionals" doesn't mean they are stupid.
[move][/move]

THEEVILSPERKY

Quote from: I_AM_A_PERSON on January 22, 2008, 04:34:57 AM
I find "txt tlk" as a way of training your brain to augment English and not for the better.

You play what you practice, and if what you do is type poorly all the time on here (the internet), you'll find yourself having trouble when it comes to putting together something presentable.

Also, it just plain makes you look stupid or uneducated when you can't form proper English.

It creates an image about yourself, and I care to be taken seriously and be respected for my opinions.  I take pride in such things.  Typing properly is a priority of mine when making a point.
You are a dumbass. Who in the right mind would "txt tlk" on a school assignment? The internet is the same as a school break (to the students), which is why they "txt tlk" on the internet. Also, are you calling foreigners stupid? Just because they can't "talk like professionals" doesn't mean they are stupid.
Way to start an argument, sir.

Thanks for informing me about what I am.

Moving on, I don't know who would "txt tlk" a school assignment, nor do I understand why you're asking me that.  I think you misinterpreted me.  If you find yourself doing something a lot, you're training yourself to do that thing just that certain way.

I drive stick shift all the time.  I've conditioned my body to be able to react instantly the way it needs to for any situation.  When I drive an automatic, maybe once a month, I instinctively go for the clutch and I rest my hand ready to shift.  It's how I drive, and being in an automatic throws things off.

Can you understand how doing one thing the same way all the time, and then having to do it differently is problematic?  You condition yourself to that practice.  I intend to write well all the time, and that helps in instances when it's needed.

Coding everything is some sorta half-assed English is even more counterproductive to students because they're supposed to be learning and demonstrating English inside AND outside the classroom.  School isn't supposed to be viewed as a chore, but rather, an opportunity, and I think people should strive to do well, regardless of the environment.

As for foreigners.. I didn't target them, but you are?  I guess because not all foreigners speak or write English properly 100%.  Well, if you were able to read what I wrote, you would've noticed "OR".. meaning someone may be stupid OR the person just may not be educated.. in which case that should be something that person is currently working on.  Being stupid and being uneducated are different things, I shouldn't have to say that.

Thanks for telling me I'm stupid and that foreigners aren't stupid if they don't speak like a professional speaker of some sort.  I'm sure the information would greatly benefit a dumbass like myself.

If I'm a dumbass, what's that make you for wasting time to call me one (which is completely negative) and try and inform me of this and that if it'd do no good?  If I'm stupid, there's not much hope for me to learn.  Next time, call me uneducated instead and then teach me right so I don't plague this world with my "dumbassery". =/

*clap, clap*
NES, SNES, N64, GCN (Jet Black), PQ (JPN), Wii, GBP (Clear), GBC (Green x2), GBASP (x2 Cobalt, x1 NES), DSLite (Black), SG3, SDC (x1 BIG, x1 Clear black top, solid grey/beige bottom), PS (x2), PS2 (Slim, Silver), PS3 (NTSC 60GB upgraded to 500GB), PSP 2000 (Silver, 4GB), XBox360 Elite

Max Headroom

Quote from: THEEVILSPERKY on January 22, 2008, 05:14:24 AM
Can you understand how doing one thing the same way all the time, and then having to do it differently is problematic? 
No.

You condition yourself to that practice.  I intend to write well all the time, and that helps in instances when it's needed.
So? It's not like your making a living by posting things on the internet. Why must you be so involved with perfect English? Just type how you type, and don't bother other people about their typing.

Coding everything is some sorta half-assed English is even more counterproductive to students because they're supposed to be learning and demonstrating English inside AND outside the classroom.  School isn't supposed to be viewed as a chore, but rather, an opportunity, and I think people should strive to do well, regardless of the environment.
However, in subjects that don't have much relevance after elementary school (unless you go for a job that's dependent on whatever you don't like, but must work on to get that job in the future), it pretty much is a chore.

As for foreigners.. I didn't target them, but you are?  I guess because not all foreigners speak or write English properly 100%.  Well, if you were able to read what I wrote, you would've noticed "OR".. meaning someone may be stupid OR the person just may not be educated.. in which case that should be something that person is currently working on.  Being stupid and being uneducated are different things, I shouldn't have to say that.
Uneducated people are stupid, and language does not equal intelligence. That is my point.

Thanks for telling me I'm stupid and that foreigners aren't stupid if they don't speak like a professional speaker of some sort.  I'm sure the information would greatly benefit a dumbass like myself.
From what you are showing me, it actually would be a benefit to you to know this.

If I'm a dumbass, what's that make you for wasting time to call me one (which is completely negative) and try and inform me of this and that if it'd do no good?  If I'm stupid, there's not much hope for me to learn.  Next time, call me uneducated instead and then teach me right so I don't plague this world with my "dumbassery". =/
Why must I use a bigger word to say you are stupid? Is it to make it seem like you are smarter than you really are?

*clap, clap*
So you tell me you practice writing English a lot of the time, yet you post something like that? What kind of practice is that? Besides the internet, when will you ever say anything like that, in real life or in a paper?

*edit*

At the start of this argument, you were the one who started the whole "txt tlk" thing:

Speaking of which, what's the point of typing properly when foreigners (or other people with limited reading capability) cannot understand what you typed, and in some cases, makes your typing even worse to them?
[move][/move]

TheKoopaBros.

Actually he isn't, and I completely agree with his point. In my English 12 class in high school my English teacher did get essay's written using IM speak with "words" like lolz and the like.

Regardless of whether you think its a problem or not, people will notice a lack of proper grammar or spelling when you make a point, and will judge you accordingly.

THEEVILSPERKY

Quote from: I_AM_A_PERSON on January 22, 2008, 05:30:24 AM
Can you understand how doing one thing the same way all the time, and then having to do it differently is problematic? 
No.

--Oh, that's unfortunate.

You condition yourself to that practice.  I intend to write well all the time, and that helps in instances when it's needed.
So? It's not like your making a living by posting things on the internet. Why must you be so involved with perfect English? Just type how you type, and don't bother other people about their typing.

--I rarely post on here and this thread happened to interest me.  It may not be bringing in income, but so what?  Again, I take pride in correctly using the English language.  I don't go around harassing people to change.  This thread let me share my opinion that people should change and to make people change, they have to do that themselves.  This is how I type, I didn't realize I was bothering other people.  I apologize if I was 'cause it's probable that I may not have held myself back in some instances.
However, in subjects that don't have much relevance after elementary school (unless you go for a job that's dependent on whatever you don't like, but must work on to get that job in the future), it pretty much is a chore.

--So having a job is just another chore to be completed?  I think a job in itself is an opportunity; an opportunity to succeed.  You have a pretty poor attitude about life from what I can tell.  You're bothered by my caring to type the way I want, like you say I should.

Uneducated people are stupid, and language does not equal intelligence. That is my point.

Uneducated people haven't had a chance to learn.  Stupid people have trouble learning.  Uneducated people may be stupid and may not be able to learn while others are not stupid and just haven't had an opportunity to receive education.  There is a difference.  Also, being able to speak properly shows an air of intelligence about you and will make you appear smart, whether you really are or not.  A smart person appearing smart will appear smart.  A smart person appearing dumb will appear dumb to his or her audience and nothing else.  The image you make for yourself is the impression of yourself you give people.  And likewise, a dumb person appearing dumb will appear dumb as well as a dumb person that appears smart will appear smart.

From what you are showing me, it actually would be a benefit to you to know this.

--You straight-out insulted me before I even posted what you're quoting.  It seems like I share my opinion on English being important and I'm instantly attacked, it's ridiculous.  Are you intimidated by me?  You don't have to answer that, it's just my personal observation.

Why must I use a bigger word to say you are stupid? Is it to make it seem like you are smarter than you really are?

--It's not a "bigger" word with more emphasis, it's in a different category and would be the correct word to use if it's really something I'm at fault for.   Again, if I am so stupid, why are you wasting time on me?  Let's assume I'm not stupid (whether I really am or not).  Why do you continue trying to prove anything to me?  Unless you feel challenged by me maybe, just maybe, being superior, could that be why?  Whatever you say, it loses some merit for you are crude.  Finally, why must you call me stupid?  It that really necessary?  Is that your last defense used against me since I have an opinion on the use of language?  Okay then, suit yourself.

*clap, clap*
So you tell me you practice writing English a lot of the time, yet you post something like that? What kind of practice is that? Besides the internet, when will you ever say anything like that, in real life or in a paper?

--Oh, you caught something that's not the most proper thing that I knowingly did write that way.  Mercy me, my opinions and everything else are now void.  Checkmate indeed!

*edit*

At the start of this argument, you were the one who started the whole "txt tlk" thing:

Speaking of which, what's the point of typing properly when foreigners (or other people with limited reading capability) cannot understand what you typed, and in some cases, makes your typing even worse to them?

--If I for some odd reason had to convey thoughts to people with limited understanding, wouldn't I convey my thoughts in a simple and easy-to-understand manner?  I'd also urge those people to better their education and understanding of English.

Is there anything else?  Anything else you feel you need to say to me?  We disagree in a few areas and I don't care much for you after you start off talking to me with an insult.  That's despicable.  Manners can reflect intelligence and one's education too and I don't care for talking to someone like yourself any longer.  If you have to argue on, fine, but I'm done here.  I know when to stop and this will just keep building up and building up, so let's end this and let this thread continue on its intended course.  I'm sure I'll realize what I need to in due time, and I hope the same for you.
NES, SNES, N64, GCN (Jet Black), PQ (JPN), Wii, GBP (Clear), GBC (Green x2), GBASP (x2 Cobalt, x1 NES), DSLite (Black), SG3, SDC (x1 BIG, x1 Clear black top, solid grey/beige bottom), PS (x2), PS2 (Slim, Silver), PS3 (NTSC 60GB upgraded to 500GB), PSP 2000 (Silver, 4GB), XBox360 Elite

THEEVILSPERKY

Quote from: TheKoopaBros. on January 22, 2008, 09:13:44 AM

Actually he isn't, and I completely agree with his point. In my English 12 class in high school my English teacher did get essay's written using IM speak with "words" like lolz and the like.

Regardless of whether you think its a problem or not, people will notice a lack of proper grammar or spelling when you make a point, and will judge you accordingly.

Thanks! ;D

Yes, even in high school I've seen that.  "ur" is common, but more often "their", "there", and "they're" get mixed up, as well as "it's" and "its", "to" and "too", and more!  I felt like my English classes were rehashes of my elementary schooling.  It was terrible.

Sillyri

Quote from: THEEVILSPERKY on January 22, 2008, 02:14:52 PM
Quote from: TheKoopaBros. on January 22, 2008, 09:13:44 AM

Thanks! ;D

Yes, even in high school I've seen that.  "ur" is common, but more often "their", "there", and "they're" get mixed up, as well as "it's" and "its", "to" and "too", and more!  I felt like my English classes were rehashes of my elementary schooling.  It was terrible.

Yeah... my Civics teacher called a kid out on it for abbreviating almost every word. She read it aloud to the class with MUCH difficulty.

Max Headroom

I don't think it will matter now, but the point is that you worry too much about English. Sure, if you like writing, I understand that, but supporting something like this to people who are (stereotypically) not expected to used perfect English (is that even possible? Seriously, with all of those English degrees and all.......) is just annoying. There is a certain point in the English language in which everyone would can understand each other just fine.

If you cannot understand someone with poor grammar/spelling, then I find you to be an idiot. I apologize for not making it clear earlier in the morning. I just hate people like you (then again, I just got back home from school, and all I can remember of this conversation was very little).
[move][/move]