News:

<+Ice> i have a dildo factory line run by old women in my garage

Main Menu

next Zelda cultural theme

Started by plasma_trooper, December 14, 2007, 01:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plasma_trooper

So, most of us Zelda fans realize that most of the Zelda games have settings that are based on different cultures, for example OoT is based heavily post Roman England and Norse cultures, MM is based heavily on Asian culture, WW based on Celtic culture, and TP on Native American culture. So what could the next cultural theme? So far in most of the Zelda games the setting has been based primarily in north-western Europe type places, including the characters and places. I for one would like to see more than just this. I didn't like the Native American style of TP since it seemed out of place in the zelda universe (disagree with me if you feel that it didn't, this is just my opinion), so I would like a revert back to the early European setting. TP dissapointed me, unlike most, because of the little diversity of the characters. This is argueable but the way I saw the different races was that they were all pretty much alike, dispite differing apperances. IMO MM was the most diverse game in that all the characters seemingly had a different lifestyle, Zoras were fishermen and musicians, Gorons were clanlike, and Terminians were urbanites. MM's setting was more modern than previous and since titles and had such different cultures that IMO it is one of the best Zelda titles to date. But as I said I would prefer a revert to early European settings. So, how does one get plenty of cultures AND a setting in early Europe? Easy, set it in Rome. The Roman Empire stretched from west Asia to the English coast, including many cultures. Set the Gerudo Desert in North Africa and Spain, Castle Town in England or France, Zoras on the Greek Isles, Gorons in Asia, the Sheikah in close proximity to both Death Mountain and Castle Town, and bring in more races to fill the gaps in Russia, and North Europe. This in my opinion would be a perfect Zelda setting.

Ultrasuperstarenator

TP was native american? o.0? I didn't think so. All I saw was that one guy looked that way. Guess I'm dumb :P

Anyways, I don't know, what about, say, Middle Eastern?

PsychoYoshi

I really don't think that Zelda games have cultural themes so much as the creators have added specific cultural influences to the games. Example: You might say that the Hylians are supposed to emulate Europeans because they have castles and other medieval-era architectural styles, but this doesn't mean that they have, in effect, the same attitudes or life outlook as Europeans. As I recall, most European nations weren't polytheistic. :p

If you really want to see a game that acts as a mirror towards historical events, check out Skies of Arcadia.

Lyon_Kennedy

Skies of Arcadia is one of the best rpgs out.

I agree I don't exactly see how other than castles and other slight similarities they are modeled after cultures.