News:

Our thoughts go to Silver and his family in this difficult time.

Main Menu

Lost Odyssey: First Impresions

Started by Sk8teland85, February 23, 2008, 05:20:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sk8teland85

I just got this game a week ago and thought I would give my first impressions.

The game starts off with a bang in a epic battle cinamatic which leads to the first combat gameplay after which you get the conclusion of the prolog cinamatic. Then after a little bit of field combat the intro comes up which is by far one of the most amazing things I have seen in a game. I then played through a few more sequences which lead to the first Novela or writen story element in the game. These are writen account of Kaim the main characters past. That is as far as I got today, so far I am impressed. It is an exceptional game a very solid gameplay wise and the music is just stunning as are the graphics. A few gripes though one being load times, they are everywhere. Another being the occational framerate issue.

Now the battle system is also solid. It is a standard turned based RPG system with new tweaks to it.

First is the customized rings with are accessories that can be equiped with small abilities to help in battle. This also leads to the use in combat itself. When you attack and have one equiped you can press and hold the right trigger to bring up a ring timer where one ring go into the other. If you release the trigger at the right time the damage goes up from the attack.

Next is the abilities system. There are 2 types of characters imortals like Kaim and mortals like Jansen (the first mage you get). Now motals learn skills on there own but Imortals don't. For an Imortal to learn an ability he or she needs to be linked to a mortal and learn the skills off of them.

One thing I will say is that this game is rather chalenging. The bosses especially are rather challenging. But other than that and the other minor issues this game has been one of the best RPGs I have played in a while.