Main Menu

Baseball's ultimate WTF year...

Started by Nayrman, June 02, 2008, 12:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nayrman

I was just looking up some stats, and holy crap this is one wierd year for us basbeall fans:
The Rays have spent more time in first place this past month than they have the past TEN YEARS
The Marlins have a better record than the Yankees, with 1/10 the payroll
The last time the Cubs were the best team in baseball: 1908 (the last year they won the world series)...oh yea, they were leading the division by 2.5 games that year too at this time (it's gonna happen!)
The NL Central is record wise, the best division in the National League
Both Chicago and both Florida teams were all in first place at the same time for the first time ever this year
The Cubs are on pace to score about 920 runs this year

Anyone else know any wierd tidbits this year?  ;D (Something tells me I'll get a lot of crap for this, but oh well I think it's funny)

sonicdude164

What the intercourse ... truly is a weird year of baseball. As long as the yankees are near the bottom and the red sox are near the top, I'm happy.

Java

Go Marlins!

Glad to see that they're doing good this year.   :)

Red

Quote from: Nayrman on June 02, 2008, 12:20:09 PM
I was just looking up some stats, and holy crap this is one wierd year for us basbeall fans:
The Rays have spent more time in first place this past month than they have the past TEN YEARS
Try franchise history. ;)
Go Manny!

Nayrman

Quote from: RedSox on June 02, 2008, 12:44:33 PM
Go Manny!
I know they've only been around for ten years tho...
(expansion team in 1997)
Ten Years sounds better, since a person could only think they've only been around for a few years or so....

Tupin

The Cardinals lost to the Pirates 14-4.  :|

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Nayrman

Quote from: Tuppyluver1 on June 02, 2008, 12:48:37 PM
The Cardinals lost to the Pirates 14-4.  :|
sweet...  8)

King_Gamer28

I'm a Red Sox fan, but I love the Rays. I hope they continue to kick ass and win the wild card. I watch just about every game from every team, and it's amazing how things have turned out so far with some players and pitchers we didn't expect to have years as they are having.

Red

Quote from: Nayrman on June 02, 2008, 12:45:54 PM
Go Manny!
(expansion team in 1997)
Ten Years sounds better, since a person could only think they've only been around for a few years or so....
But a baseball novice might not know that. For all they know, the Rays are from the 50's.

And IMO Franchise history sounds better.

Nayrman

Quote from: RedSox on June 02, 2008, 01:12:07 PM
Go Manny!
(expansion team in 1997)
But a baseball novice might not know that. For all they know, the Rays are from the 50's.

Even my sisters (who don't pay attention to sports at ALL) know the Ray's have barely been around...
but I suppose thats true...
Still, Go Cubs and Go rays (you guys have already won two the last four years, give us a chance this year plz! :P )

Java

Quote from: Nayrman on June 02, 2008, 01:13:35 PM
Go Manny!
(expansion team in 1997)

Even my sisters (who don't pay attention to sports at ALL) know the Ray's have barely been around...
Still, Go Cubs and Go rays (you guys have already won two the last four years, give us a chance this year plz! :P )
...And Marlins!

The 2003 National Championship vs. the Cubs was amazing. :P

I wonder whatever happened to that guy in the stands who caught that ball..

Nayrman

Quote from: Java_Java on June 02, 2008, 01:17:59 PM
Go Manny!
(expansion team in 1997)

...And Marlins!

The 2003 National Championship vs. the Cubs was amazing. :P

I wonder whatever happened to that guy in the stands who caught that ball..
GRRRR....BARTMAN....
he has un-officially been exiled from the state.
it was a good seires besides the ending...stupid Alex Gonzalez blowing the double play and Kerry Wood destroying game 7....

Red

Go Manny!
(expansion team in 1997)

NO! We're gonna win.....But as long as the Yankees don't win, I guess it's fine.

Nayrman

Quote from: RedSox on June 02, 2008, 01:21:14 PM
Go Manny!
(expansion team in 1997)

NO! We're gonna win.....But as long as the Yankees don't win, I guess it's fine.
you've gotten your curse broken! Let us have one!
but yea I guess anyone other than Yanks or Cardinals and I'm fine (even tho boston fans have gotten very annoying hte last few years...DEATH TO PATS!)

Red

Quote from: Nayrman on June 02, 2008, 01:22:31 PM
Quote from: RedSox on June 02, 2008, 01:21:14 PM
Go Manny!
(expansion team in 1997)

you've gotten your curse broken! Let us have one!
but yea I guess anyone other than Yanks or Cardinals and I'm fine (even tho boston fans have gotten very annoying hte last few years...DEATH TO PATS!)
K I'll let you have a chance, but if it's Sox vs. Cubs, we're gonna win.

Ugh I hate the Pats.