News:

<+Clu> have you tried barbecuing the computer

Main Menu

What the hell Adult Swim?!

Started by Nayrman, September 11, 2008, 06:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nayrman

Anime is officially off the air on this block now.
Okay, not "off" the air, but it might as well be. You can check the schedule on their site.
Bleach at 11 saturdays, FMA reruns, and other than that hte only new stuff is Geass/Moribito...AT FIVE IN THE FREAKING MORNING SUNDAY.
The rest is filled with their low brow low budget "comedy" stuff.
I could understand less anime during the week but this is getting ridiculous...
thank god for youtube and other internet stuff X_X;;

Zovistograt

They're just solidifying the point that you don't watch anime on American TV because it's all dubs which suck automatically, even if the dubbing company did a good job.
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Nayrman

iunno half the stuff on that block have worse voicing than many dubs do X_X;;

Gwen Khan

no ones watching it, they keep saying that anime gets very low ratings

Kaz

Quote from: Zovistograt on September 11, 2008, 06:22:33 PM
They're just solidifying the point that you don't watch anime on American TV because it's all dubs which suck automatically, even if the dubbing company did a good job.

That's a pretty sad mindset to have shoved down your throat, considering Adult Swim has been lucky with getting animes that have reasonably good dubs. Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, and Paranoia Agent all have intercourse ing great dubs. FMA's is pretty good too.
Quote<+Mithos> My mom grounded me for being gay.

Nayrman

Quote from: Commissar Torgo on September 11, 2008, 07:31:14 PM
Have you seen any advertisements for them? It's all "ZOMG TEEM AN EHRIK R TEH FUNNIEST SHOUW LIEK EVAR!!!LOLWUT!"
You can't blame low ratings if you never try to put the product out there and get the name out... X_X;;

Tupin

Didn't they advertise that they were switching to subtitled anime over the Summer?

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Kaz

Quote from: Nayrman on September 12, 2008, 03:32:41 AM
Quote from: Commissar Torgo on September 11, 2008, 07:31:14 PM
Have you seen any advertisements for them? It's all "ZOMG TEEM AN EHRIK R TEH FUNNIEST SHOUW LIEK EVAR!!!LOLWUT!"
You can't blame low ratings if you never try to put the product out there and get the name out... X_X;;

They constantly had ads for their animes as little as a year ago, and even then the anime ratings were going down like crazy in comparison to the American stuff. You can't tell me you don't remember billions of Inuyasha ads. Even Paranoia Agent and Evangelion were heavily advertised.

Shujinco2

I actually like their low brow comedy stuff, like Home Movies and Aqua Teen and Mission Hill.

Zovistograt

Quote from: Kaz on September 11, 2008, 09:15:18 PM

That's a pretty sad mindset to have shoved down your throat, considering Adult Swim has been lucky with getting animes that have reasonably good dubs. Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, and Paranoia Agent all have intercourse ing great dubs. FMA's is pretty good too.
I am of the staunch opinion that anime shouldn't be aired as dubs because it detracts from the pure art from of the anime in accordance with the obviously superior Japanese language.

::)
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Kaz

Quote from: Zovistograt on September 12, 2008, 12:58:48 PM

I am of the staunch opinion that anime shouldn't be aired as dubs because it detracts from the pure art from of the anime in accordance with the obviously superior Japanese language.

And I'm of the opinion that you should appreciate your own language more. How is their language "superior"? How is any language superior?

And no, unless it's terrible, it doesn't detract from it at all. If a dub is good enough, it's honestly better than reading subtitles. Subtitles distract you from the full picture of the screen at any time that there's dialogue, not to mention that voices are more dramatic than text.

Zovistograt

Quote from: Kaz on September 12, 2008, 07:03:52 PM
Quote from: Zovistograt on September 12, 2008, 12:58:48 PM

And I'm of the opinion that you should appreciate your own language more. How is their language "superior"? How is any language superior?

And no, unless it's terrible, it doesn't detract from it at all. If a dub is good enough, it's honestly better than reading subtitles. Subtitles distract you from the full picture of the screen at any time that there's dialogue, not to mention that voices are more dramatic than text.
I'm a bit of a japanophile so I guess that's where that comes in...but really, even if it were in another language, it doesn't matter.  I consider anime a high art form to be taken in as it was originally meant.  I think that dubs are just a way of being lazy and not appreciating the anime.  Don't say you're appreciating it the same by watching a dub, either, because the voices, however insignificant the difference seems, make all the difference.

JrDude

Quote from: Tuppyluver1 on September 12, 2008, 04:19:38 AM
Didn't they advertise that they were switching to subtitled anime over the Summer?
That was a joke. They said they were dubbing the english dubbed to Japanese Dub (not using the original, actually re-dubbing it with Japanese words), then add subtitles to those crappy Japanese words.
I don't think I explained that very well.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Kaz

Quote from: Zovistograt on September 12, 2008, 07:06:46 PM
Don't say you're appreciating it the same by watching a dub, either, because the voices, however insignificant the difference seems, make all the difference.

Until I can ingest a pill that makes it so that I can understand Japanese, I don't give a darn.

Depster

I was forced to Watch Geaas(sp?) on their website last night... at there are no commercials =0.  and I guess I have to thank them for keeping it on their website.

Brawl Code: 3050-7249-4136    Message me yours!