News:

<+Clu> was cute sure but it doesnt even mention homosexuality

Main Menu

This is why ranking lists fails and this is why IGN fails...

Started by Nayrman, January 19, 2009, 07:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nayrman

Okay, basically IGN is having a "Top 100 Animation" list, and this finally proves without a doubt that these lists they do are completely pointless or altogether wrong X_X;;
Go take a look if you want, but how in the hell does Huckleberry Hound (the single blandest Hannah-Barbara cartoon) AND MightyMouse outrank DragonBall Z, Gundam (specifically Wing), Tom and Jerry, AND FMA.
Not to mention the Jetsons outrank Pinky and the Brain.

Just proving how these lists are pure opinion (although Huckleberry Hound isn't even in the top 200. I swear that cartoon was horrible)

**Edit:
Prove point futher, how in the hell are there so many William Street shows? I assume the actual GOOD ones will be higher on the list, but really, geez. That one building has set animation farther back than everyone else combined.
(Also the freaking G-Force are ranked higher than FMA... and that's just wrong...)

**EDIT: EDIT:
Looked at today's update (40-31)
Naruto is about 40 spots ahead of DBZ... *facepalms*
Not to mention Aqua Teen is in the 30's. I can't believe they put two massively overrated shows that high.
Not to mention MUPPET BABIES is freaking 31. Go darn these guys have no idea what they're talking about.
I know I'm complaining alot but....GAAAAHH!

Tupin

I guess they just really like old American cartoons.

I call BS on ANY Hannah-Barbara cartoon ranking higher than Tom and Jerry, though.

Speaking of bad William Street shows, ever watch Superjail? It's an argument for going back to completely hand drawn/animated shows.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Nayrman

Quote from: Tupin on January 19, 2009, 07:33:14 PM
I guess they just really like old American cartoons.

I call BS on ANY Hannah-Barbara cartoon ranking higher than Tom and Jerry, though.

Speaking of bad William Street shows, ever watch Superjail? It's an argument for going back to completely hand drawn/animated shows.
everything from William's Street is an argument to go back to hand drawn stuff.
Not to mention their sad attempts at humor are just that, pathetic. One episode of Animaniacs or Looney Tunes contains more actual humor than all Williams Street cartoons that premiered after the Brak Show COMBINED X_X;;

Triforceman22

wtf.
dragonball had amazing animation for it's time....
And Z was even better.

Not trying to be a fanboy or anything. Just giving my opinion.

QuoteRobotnik: GET A LOAD OF THIS!!!!!!!!

Tupin

Quote from: Triforceman22 on January 19, 2009, 07:49:17 PM
wtf.
dragonball had amazing animation for it's time....
And Z was even better.

Not trying to be a fanboy or anything. Just giving my opinion.
Even for the time, Hannah-Barbara cartoons had mediocre animation.

Nayrman

Tupin

Muppet Babies should be like in the 90s.

Where's Tiny Toon Adventures, Ren and Stimpy, Rugrats, and KaBlam?

Mark my words, Batman: The Animated Series will be in the top five and Animaniacs will be in the early 20's.

Nayrman

Quote from: Tupin on January 20, 2009, 06:07:51 PM

Mark my words, Batman: The Animated Series will be in the top five and Animaniacs will be in the early 20's.
I'm sure those are coming up.
Also, Muppet Babies didn't even deserve to be on the list at all.
Also, Batman: The Animated Series BETTER be in the Top 5! It's one of the best cartoons ever made, and beats the crap out of any other superhero cartoon ever made.
Although knowing IGN they'll give the top spot to something either tirelessly predictable or something everyone hates.

Triforceman22

Quote from: Nayrman on January 20, 2009, 06:34:16 PM

Also, Batman: The Animated Series BETTER be in the Top 5! It's one of the best cartoons ever made, and beats the crap out of any other superhero cartoon ever made.
Although knowing IGN they'll give the top spot to something either tirelessly predictable or something everyone hates.

so true.

and Batman: the animated series kicked ass!

QuoteRobotnik: GET A LOAD OF THIS!!!!!!!!

Tupin

Quote from: Triforceman22 on January 20, 2009, 10:01:13 PM

so true.

I know it did, but like Nayr said, it's predictable. Should be in the top 5, yes. Number 1? No.

Nayrman

Quote from: Tupin on January 21, 2009, 05:56:34 PM
Quote from: Triforceman22 on January 20, 2009, 10:01:13 PM

so true.

I know it did, but like Nayr said, it's predictable. Should be in the top 5, yes. Number 1? No.
They'll probably give it to something like Looney Tunes or Mickey Mouse. Something so obvious yet something so outdated it can hardly be taken seriously as genuine animation outside of a historical context.

Today's update. Only real noteworthy's were Speed Race in the 20's (an obvious spot. It's the only reason Anime made it over here at all) and Scooby-Doo in the top 20's (fine by me. Historically significant yet it continues to produce movies and shorts to this day).
Everything else is meh

Gwen Khan

why I loved watching that show growing much better then most anime
also Count Duckula I remember that, but no one else does, death note (manga or anime) does not deserve to be "the best of" anything

Nayrman

Quote from: Commissar Torgo on January 21, 2009, 08:47:02 PM

why I loved watching that show growing much better then most anime
also Count Duckula I remember that, but no one else does, death note (manga or anime) does not deserve to be "the best of" anything
Muppet babies doesn't belong because it's a blatant copy of ideas already done by both Disney and Warner (both had done baby versions of Mickey and Looney Tunes by that point), so I don't see how that show is deserving to be anywhere in the top 75, let alone in the 30's.

Today's was actually fairly decent. Animaniacs and Ren and Stimpy in the teens, which is expected. Spongebob is there...I'm okay with that even if it was overrated as years went on.
Cowboy Bebop is also in the teens. Knowing IGN I though they would've hated something origional and actually artistic.
Ugh...Rocky and Bulwinkle are number 11. I know WHY it's up that high but I've always hated that cartoon X_X;;

Tupin

I KNEW Rocky and Bullwinkle would be high up and then cause controversy. I agree with its placement, simply because it can be shown today and still seem interesting. Many cynics of the show said back when it first came out it was a well written radio program with pictures, and that's pretty true.

The cartoons were animated in Mexico by only a few people, and that might be where some of the charm comes from, that they can make such an entertaining show on such a small budget.

It deserves to be that high because it was an example on how anyone could make a successful animation out of practically nothing that becomes pop culture.

Nayrman

Well, we've made the top ten.
Evangelion grabbed top anime at number 10 (why? FLCL and Cowboy Bebop are far superior...and apparently they've never watched End of Evangelion).

Surprisingly "The Tick" got number 8, which I was very happy with "SPOOOON!"
Batman: The Animated Series got number two, fine by me.

I just want to know how the hell Family Guy was one spot ahead of Futurama? Futurama is better than both the Simpsons and Family Guy without question.

And of course, the Simpsons are number one...despite the fact that they haven't been relevant for years and stopped being funny about the turn of the century...