Main Menu

Languages- Yo prefiero...

Started by HTA!, March 02, 2009, 07:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What language is more interesting/would you like to learn?

Greek
4 (14.8%)
Spanish
7 (25.9%)
Italian
7 (25.9%)
French
8 (29.6%)
Akkadian :P
2 (7.4%)
Chinese
6 (22.2%)
Japanese
18 (66.7%)
Noob :|
4 (14.8%)
German
2 (7.4%)
[Other]
3 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 27

HTA!

Well, sitting here thinking about Bias of Priene I wondered, "What language does NSF want to learn?"

Personally, I would like to learn how to speak Spanish fluently (required course), Italian to get back to my 1/4 roots, or Greek because it is so prevalent in our modern English.

Spanish is just taking over everywhere. Migrant workers are all over the place... and I feel this is the best language to take as a secondary to English.

Plus, all of the other romantic languages such as French and Italian are very similar to Spanish... so I can sort of understand bits and pieces of over 3 languages.

Magnum

Yep. I really don't care TOO much about other languages. Not trying to be ignorant but I don't plan on leaving America anytime soon. But just for the heck of it...

Japanese so that I don't have to wait for the subs to come out for animes.
Akkadian because that is the most original pun everz
and Greek because they're cool.

Oh Vesperia, never change... never change

Jono2

would like to learn chinese.  Why?
-being part chinese, it would be nice to have some of that language.
-it's the likely business language of the future.

Quote from: LinkXLR on January 30, 2008, 09:10:54 PM
Quote from: famy on January 30, 2008, 08:36:30 PM
is big willy unleashed a will smith game

...I'm not even gonna touch this one.

SteamID: Lazylen

Tupin

French, Chinese, and Japanese.

Once you know one romance language fluently, you can pretty much understand the other ones. Chinese and Japanese would both be useful, too.

Oh, and Pitkern for the lulz.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Spam

Italian, Japanese, and Noob which is basic French...

Java

Yo tengo que aprender el idioma castellano o el espanol, porque tengo que saber como hablar como mis padres y mis abuelos. Tambien, el espanol es necessario en este pais y tambien en la ciudad donde que yo vivo.

Igualmente, quiero aprender como hablar el idioma frances y el idioma italiano.

Por favor, disculpa todo los errores y los acentos/tildes.
Yo tengo que aprender mas de mi primer idioma.

Qsmash

I always wanted to learn Spanish but since apparently all those classes are full I'm currently taking French. :robotindifferent:bastards

Japanese so I can understand stuff...in Japanese.

Gwen Khan

does it have to be one of those? I'd rather learn Polish

Macawmoses

As Jono pointed out, it'd be Chinese. It's an increasingly powerful country...but just saying Chinese doesn't work being that there are dialects that are very different. With that said, any of the dialects would work fine for me, say, Mandarin.

The Chinese english base will soon outnumber that of the United States and Canada combined, so they'll be able to push us to their language should they choose.

For those saying "learning one romance language learns all three" you're a moron. It's a common misconception. Sure, there are clear cut similarities, such as the base numbers. But when you cut through to them, there is much different structure, and even word use. Take it from someone who knows French and is proactive in learning Spanish.

HTA!

Quote from: Lord Layton on March 02, 2009, 09:25:21 PM
As Jono pointed out, it'd be Chinese. It's an increasingly powerful country...but just saying Chinese doesn't work being that there are dialects that are very different. With that said, any of the dialects would work fine for me, say, Mandarin.

The Chinese english base will soon outnumber that of the United States and Canada combined, so they'll be able to push us to their language should they choose.

For those saying "learning one romance language learns all three" you're a moron. It's a common misconception. Sure, there are clear cut similarities, such as the base numbers. But when you cut through to them, there is much different structure, and even word use. Take it from someone who knows French and is proactive in learning Spanish.
You obviously wouldn't be able to speak the others.
But you could catch bits and pieces said to you.

Java

Well the other day, I was randomly speaking Italian...

I went to say "Gracias" to this lady and instead I said "Grazie", yet I don't even know Italian... :P

Macawmoses

You can't accidentally stumble that into the French version though.

HTA!

Quote from: Lord Layton on March 02, 2009, 11:11:05 PM
You can't accidentally stumble that into the French version though.
French people are commies.

Anyway... what's with all the Japanophiles? D:

I bet Farcy or Akkadian would be more helpful than... Japanese... D:

Oh and thanks for the German option...

Doodle

I'd rather not learn a new language.
But I guess Spanish.
Or Chinese. My last name sounds Chinese, so it would be hilarious to know some of it. :P
YEAH

Zovistograt

I want to learn Japanese, Swedish, Icelandic, Russian, and possibly German.

You should put "other" on there.

Or better yet, I can.  So I did.
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)