News:

UH SOMETHING BROKE HANG ON

Main Menu

150mph F3 Racing Car Made From Veggies

Started by Doodle, April 22, 2009, 12:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doodle

http://newslite.tv/2009/04/22/the-150mph-f3-racing-car-made.html
QuoteThe steering wheel is made of carrots and the breaks from ground cashew nuts ... but this racing car can still do over 150mph.

This eco-car has been created by boffins at Warwick University and is the first competitive F3 racing car built using sustainable parts.

Components made from plants form the mainstay of the car, potatoes were used to produce the bodywork and the WorldFirst racecar even runs on a mixture of chocolate and vegetable oils.

Designers hope to soon see some of their eco-technology used by F1 teams like Brawn GP and Ferrari ... and not just in their salad bar.

A spokesman for the university said: "Motor sport is exciting, dynamic and fast paced. These aren't words normally associated with sustainable technologies.

"We have focused our energy and expertise to challenge this perception and bring renewable technology to the forefront of design.

"The WorldFirst is the first Formula 3 racing car designed and made from sustainable and renewable materials, putting the world first by effectively managing the planet's resources."

Project Manager, James Meredith a researcher in WMG at the University of Warwick, added: "It's been very exciting working on the project and important for our team to develop a working example of a truly 'Green' motor racing car.

"The WorldFirst project expels the myth that performance needs to be compromised when developing the sustainable motor vehicles of the future".
This is pretty cool. It would be nice to see other vehicles made like this.
Hm...NASCAR, not very bad for the environment in the near future? :P
YEAH

Captain Justice

effectively managing the planet's resources my ass.

Vegetables are for eating, not intercourse ing cars.
Quote from: Talim on September 04, 2009, 05:26:53 PM
Yesterday, sort of. I was on the verge of crying. Why? I got into an argument with a couple other people from #nsider and it got me really upset. I didn't really cry much though
Quote from: Tsumaru on September 20, 2009, 11:29:22 AM
Can we ban Hoss, please?

Shujinco2

Well... the thing is... it's made out of things that have been known to break: Fragile veggies.

Immaging if you want to turn at 150 MPH, when all of a sudden your carrot steering wheel breaks. And it would too. You know how easy it is to break a carrot?

And that's not the only thing...

The Seventh

Just wait until the car rots out.

Or drys out enough that the slightest spark will let it light up. :D
meh

Silverhawk79

I imagine the brakes aren't too fantastic.

Tupin

Even if it uses that plastic made from vegetables, it won't make it through a rainstorm.

That's the downside to "green" plastic, it dissolves after repeated exposure to water.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

The Seventh

Quote from: Silverhawk79 on April 22, 2009, 03:03:22 PM
:D I betcha tis true...
Wait, how would the engine work w/o asploding?
meh

Tupin

Quote from: red7js on April 22, 2009, 05:25:35 PM
Blueberry juice coolant, duh.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

The Seventh

Quote from: Tupin on April 22, 2009, 05:40:27 PM
Quote from: red7js on April 22, 2009, 05:25:35 PM
Blueberry juice coolant, duh.
Hmmm... *tastes* Delicious! :D

I wonder how light the plastics are, and how sturdy they are.  Probably couldn't beat carbon fiber in those areas, right?
meh