Main Menu

Nintendo Confirms Zelda Series Timeline.

Started by Doodle, July 13, 2009, 09:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doodle

http://www.destructoid.com/there-is-no-zelda-timeline-stop-trying-139498.phtml

There is none, according to Nintendo. It would be just like Mario, random adventures.
Well, after making a video like that and sending it to Nintendo, I would be pretty bummed if I got that response. :\

Zelda Split Timeline Theory:
            AttP --> OoA/OoS --> WW --> PH --> LA -->
OoT -->
            MM --> TP --> MC --> FS/FSA --> LoZ --> AoL
YEAH

JrDude

That video made a lot of sense. So whether there is no "real" timeline or not, I think his is closest.
Nintendo could care less, they're probably just in it for the money.
[move][/move]
Dude .

SkyMyl

I think my heart just stopped.

This has to be some half-assed answer because Nintendo doesn't want fans coming close to finding out the actual timeline. There's too much evidence against their answer.

...huh. I felt like Nayr while typing that out.

JrDude

Quote from: SkyMyl on July 13, 2009, 10:16:27 PM
I think my heart just stopped.

This has to be some half-assed answer because Nintendo doesn't want fans coming close to finding out the actual timeline. There's too much evidence against their answer.

...huh. I felt like Nayr while typing that out.
You guys are thinking too nerdily, Nintendo doesn't care.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Dog Food

They said there can't possibly be an explanation. Well, obviously there can because this guy did it beautifully. I doubt they planned a timeline while making the games, and don't have the time to create a timeline and then present it to that kid, so they just say there isn't one (which is technically true since they didn't plan one). Either way, I'm sticking with that guy's timeline. He sounds like he knows what he's talking about, and everything fit into place.

But really, you shouldn't over think things in video games. You're often dissappointed.
I get obsessively manic over things. It's a problem.

Neerb

This guy's timeline is nice, but it has a few problems.  For example, FSA's in-game map shows Hyrule as an island, while TP's does not.  Also, FSA features Force Gems, which PH says were invented by the Ocean King, and FSA gives a different backstory for Ganon, indicating that it must be a new one (not that strange considering how many Links and Zeldas there have been).  Another problem is that MC has a prologue about a legend that takes place near the beginning of Hyrule, but OoT was only around 10 years after Hyrule's founding, so there couldn't really be much room for that legend to happen.  Finally is that Nintendo confirmed a long time ago that LoZ/AoL Link is the descendant of ALttP Link, so they must be in the same timeline.  That's why I made that other timeline:  it's like this one, but it puts MC through AoL after LA, so that the Hyrule of those games is actually the new Hyrule that Link and Tetra set off to find after WW.

Dog Food

Quote from: SmashBro25 on July 14, 2009, 08:36:29 PM
This guy's timeline is nice, but it has a few problems.  For example, FSA's in-game map shows Hyrule as an island, while TP's does not.  Also, FSA features Force Gems, which PH says were invented by the Ocean King, and FSA gives a different backstory for Ganon, indicating that it must be a new one (not that strange considering how many Links and Zeldas there have been).  Another problem is that MC has a prologue about a legend that takes place near the beginning of Hyrule, but OoT was only around 10 years after Hyrule's founding, so there couldn't really be much room for that legend to happen.  Finally is that Nintendo confirmed a long time ago that LoZ/AoL Link is the descendant of ALttP Link, so they must be in the same timeline.  That's why I made that other timeline:  it's like this one, but it puts MC through AoL after LA, so that the Hyrule of those games is actually the new Hyrule that Link and Tetra set off to find after WW.
Message him on Youtube about it. I think that'd be a very interesting conversation... He called his "perfect", so I'd enjoy watching him either falsify your contradictions or be crushed in defeat.

Neerb

Quote from: KJ on July 14, 2009, 08:59:08 PM
Message him on Youtube about it. I think that'd be a very interesting conversation... He called his "perfect", so I'd enjoy watching him either falsify your contradictions or be crushed in defeat.

I actually have already; well, not all of it, but I did tell him of some of this stuff.  All he really said was he'd make a new timeline when the new Wii Zelda comes out.

Dog Food

Quote from: SmashBro25 on July 15, 2009, 07:54:47 AM
I actually have already; well, not all of it, but I did tell him of some of this stuff.  All he really said was he'd make a new timeline when the new Wii Zelda comes out.
Post it in the comments, too. People will look and be like "oh he's right this guy is wrong lets leave". Because now that I re-read your explanations again, I think your time line may be more accurate then his.

HTA!

I've got a problem with the idea of a split timeline.
In Ocarina, if Link seals Ganon away and then goes into the past, doesn't that mean that in a sense that Ganon has not been sealed away yet?

Somehow, Link knew Ganon would try to escape and so when he went off to do the Majora's Mask stuff Zelda and co decided to try and kill Ganon.

Unless LoZ doesn't follow standard time travel logic that is...
Eh, I was just bored...

Neerb

Quote from: HTA on July 15, 2009, 01:24:05 PM
I've got a problem with the idea of a split timeline.
In Ocarina, if Link seals Ganon away and then goes into the past, doesn't that mean that in a sense that Ganon has not been sealed away yet?

Somehow, Link knew Ganon would try to escape and so when he went off to do the Majora's Mask stuff Zelda and co decided to try and kill Ganon.

Unless LoZ doesn't follow standard time travel logic that is...
Eh, I was just bored...

First of all, the split-timeline is not an idea, theory, or whatever else you want to call it, and I don't get why people think it is.  Fans didn't speculate the idea of a split-timeline; Nintendo themselves created, announced, and explained the split-timeline back when WW was released.  You see, even though Nintendo refuses to make a timeline for the series as a whole, certain parts have been confirmed, such as how MM follows OoT.

Secondly, to answer your question:  you are half-right.  Here's how it works:  At the end of Ocarina of Time, Link sealed up Ganon in the future, and Zelda, feeling sorry that she had gotten Link involved in all this, sent him back to the past so he could relive those lost 7 years of his life.  However, the problem was that Zelda sent him back in time instead of rewinding time, which made two separate timelines.  In the Child Timeline, Link was a kid again and was now sent back to right before Ganondorf attacked.  Because he was sent back instead of rewound, Link retained all his memories and informed Zelda and the King of what Ganondorf was going to do.  This allowed them to stop it from ever happening in their timeline, which is actually shown in a flashback scene of TP in which they fail to execute him and decide to send him to the Twilight Realm, and during the execution, MM happens as Link is in Termina looking for the missing Navi.  Meanwhile, in the Adult Timeline, the events of OoT are still in effect, with Zelda as an adult and Ganon[dorf] sealed in the Sacred realm, but Link has ceased to exist because he was sent to the Child Timeline.  Years later, ALttP happens as Ganon tries to escape the Sacred Realm but is stopped by a Link, and then the next time he tries it there is no Link so Hyrule is flooded to stop him, resulting in WW.

Neerb

Quote from: KJ on July 15, 2009, 01:12:15 PM
Post it in the comments, too. People will look and be like "oh he's right this guy is wrong lets leave". Because now that I re-read your explanations again, I think your time line may be more accurate then his.

I'd really like to just make my own vid, but I don't know how, as I've never made a Youtube video before.  Plus, while this guy's is definitely wrong, it is mostly right, and I myself never would have come close without him.  In fact, the only reason I discovered this stuff at all was because of one little detail he added:  "The Picori Sword, which is really the Master Sword, breaks..."  The very idea of the Master Sword breaking, especially at the hands of Vaati the Mediocre, was unfathomable to me, and upon messaging him and finding out his reasoning behind it, I began a long and detailed investigation to prove him wrong, eventually finding all this other information proving that not only is the Picori Sword not the Master Sword, but a decent chunk of his timeline is actually on the wrong side.

PS:  Sorry for double-posting
PSS:  I just realized that quote towers can't be made anymore!  Yay!

Dog Food

Quote from: SmashBro25 on July 15, 2009, 02:14:33 PM
I'd really like to just make my own vid, but I don't know how, as I've never made a Youtube video before.  Plus, while this guy's is definitely wrong, it is mostly right, and I myself never would have come close without him.  In fact, the only reason I discovered this stuff at all was because of one little detail he added:  "The Picori Sword, which is really the Master Sword, breaks..."  The very idea of the Master Sword breaking, especially at the hands of Vaati the Mediocre, was unfathomable to me, and upon messaging him and finding out his reasoning behind it, I began a long and detailed investigation to prove him wrong, eventually finding all this other information proving that not only is the Picori Sword not the Master Sword, but a decent chunk of his timeline is actually on the wrong side.

PS:  Sorry for double-posting
PSS:  I just realized that quote towers can't be made anymore!  Yay!
Making a video is easy. Especially if you are going to do it like he did his. All you need to know is how to work Windows Movie Maker. Also, you'll need a microphone for the narration. Then publish it. Finally, you can upload it onto Youtube, which is just like uploading any other thing anywhere else.

Nayrman

*skips most comments in the thread*

Having no timeline is a half assed answer frankly. Why bother putting in numerous references to older games if there is no timeline? Wind Waker makes zero sense if OoT has nothing to do with it X_X;;

But whatever, I know Nintendo has never cared about timelines (or stories for that matter. When Fire Emblem and Earthbound is the deepest they'll ever get, you've got shallow stories).
Meh, I"ll continue to speculate.

Neerb

Quote from: Nayrman on July 17, 2009, 01:47:05 PM
*skips most comments in the thread*

Having no timeline is a half assed answer frankly. Why bother putting in numerous references to older games if there is no timeline? Wind Waker makes zero sense if OoT has nothing to do with it X_X;;

But whatever, I know Nintendo has never cared about timelines (or stories for that matter. When Fire Emblem and Earthbound is the deepest they'll ever get, you've got shallow stories).
Meh, I"ll continue to speculate.

Shoulda read those comments... like mine.
Nintendo refuses to give a timeline to the series as a whole, but some games do have their own mini-timelines (several being specifically mentioned by Nintendo) such as how OoT comes before MM, TP, WW, and PH.