News:

<+Clu> Silverhawk79 is just wrong for me

Main Menu

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Review

Started by Thirteenthorder, July 20, 2009, 06:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thirteenthorder

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, starring the famous Daniel Radcliffe, among others, has high expectations from fans across the world. Sadly, this installment of the Potter-movies does not meet anywhere near the expectations met by the other films.

Let me give you a gist of what this movie is about:

-Hermione crying
-Lavender snogging Ron
-Ron getting tired of Lavender
-Hermione showing feelings for Ron
-Lavender breaking up with Ron
-Dumbledore poking into these teen-romance affairs

This isn't even Romance-Adventure hybrid. This is a pure Romance flick. I mean, never did I expect so many people to care about snogging, especially not a 150-year old wizard who is supposedly the Headmaster of Hogwarts.

The first thing I would like to address in this review is the HORRID portrayal of Dumbledore graciously given to us by Michael Gambon (instead of the late, ever so wonderful Richard Harris). Instead of being a calm, serene, intelligent, and powerful wizard that JK Rowling writes Dumbledore in as, Mr. Gambon flocks around like a rambunctious, immature, overactive, mean, nosy, crotchety old wizard who cares more about whether Harry and Hermione are going out then whether Lord Voldemort is defeated.

Second is the ending.

SPOILER ALERT - SPOILER ALERT

The entire ending is re-written and totally convoluted. Remember how students of Hogwarts and the Death Eaters battled on the Hogwarts grounds while Snape proceeded to murder Dumbledore? Yeah, that no longer exists in the movie. Instead of them having to fight, Bellatrix and the gang get to happily Disapparate off of the grounds as soon as the deed of murder is done. No sort of resistance is given once her and her Death Eater buddies skip out of the picture scotch-free.

This is not for people who remember the books in depth, it will simply piss you off rather than entertain you.

Remember in the book where Dumbledore pleadingly says "Severus...please..." and Snape, unwillingly, casts the Killing Curse upon his longtime friend?

Instead of:

"Severus....Please...."

".....Avada Kedavra" Snape said, with a look of disgust and revulsion upon his face.

It was more like this:

"Severus ple-"

"AVADA KEDAVRA!"

There was no emotional impact, no sense of loss. Instead, I was quite happy that Michael Gambon was finally killed off, save for his small and presumably-irritating appearance in the Deathly Hallows.

D= D= out of  D= D= D= D= D=

Those two  D= were only garnered because it, in a raw and deeply uninteresting sense, brought one of my favorite books in the series to life.

-Thirteenthorder
When you're not lookin'...

Nayrman

I actually heard it was pretty good.

Although I think everyone knows my position on licensed movies at this point X_X;;

Magnum

The ending does piss you off if you have read the book. And I actually gained respect for the Dumbledore at that scene. Played it well. And I though that Snape played the part well.

Yes though, ending was the only bad part. I'm making all my friends read the last part of the book so they know what really happened.

Oh Vesperia, never change... never change

Light

I don't understand how the divide between reviewers is so clear; I've seen practically the same amount of praising reviews as I have panning ones. Personally, I thought the movie was by far the best in the series. But then again, anything is better than the disaster that is Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
Holy crap all my sigs were always poop. Best leave this space alone.

KingBoo

I thought it was good. Pretty funny too. Not too much action, more story driven, but it was still pretty good. I like number 5 better though.

Thirteenthorder

This is true, Javert:

"DID YOU PUT YOUR NAME IN THE GOBLET OF FIRE? >:(  >:(  >:( >:(  >:("

-Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Captain Justice

is half-blood prince the 5th or 6th movie?

I kinda stopped caring about harry potter after I read the 4th book, I was in 5th grade at the time and the books were getting to long :P
Quote from: Talim on September 04, 2009, 05:26:53 PM
Yesterday, sort of. I was on the verge of crying. Why? I got into an argument with a couple other people from #nsider and it got me really upset. I didn't really cry much though
Quote from: Tsumaru on September 20, 2009, 11:29:22 AM
Can we ban Hoss, please?

Jono2

Quote from: LinkXLR on January 30, 2008, 09:10:54 PM
Quote from: famy on January 30, 2008, 08:36:30 PM
is big willy unleashed a will smith game

...I'm not even gonna touch this one.

SteamID: Lazylen

Shujinco2

I have to ask: Was it as choppy as the 4th and 5th movies were relative to the book?

Thirteenthorder

Quote from: Penmoet on July 21, 2009, 10:28:39 AM
I have to ask: Was it as choppy as the 4th and 5th movies were relative to the book?
Even more so D:

Shujinco2

HTA!

Um...
Isn't that how the book was?

I thought the movies was okay, no better or worse than any of the others. And I liked number 4. :(

No one should expect HP to be a cinematic masterpiece... the books weren't that great by themselves.

Shujinco2

Quote from: HTA on July 23, 2009, 08:43:38 AM
Um...
Isn't that how the book was?
Not really. As the books got bigger, year after year, their respective movies got more choppy. Mainly because you can fit infinite amounts of stuff in a novel, but only have 3 hours to fill a movie.

And the books wern't that choppy. Actually, most of the time, they flowed together pretty well.

HTA!

Shujinco2

Quote from: HTA on July 23, 2009, 12:43:39 PM
I meant about the love stories.
Oh, oh, ok, nvm then.

Those are annoying though. JUST FUCK AND GET IT OVER WITH ALREADY GOD DAMN IT! GET TO THE KILLING AND FLYING CARS!