News:

<Clu> no nsfcd is basically a ghost town, it should be killed behind fences

Main Menu

What do You believe in?

Started by StarWindWizard7, August 10, 2010, 04:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phatyo

Quote from: Nik on August 20, 2010, 08:59:01 PM
then again we're more likely to abandon earth and migrate to another planet by then. They'd have to find a way to travel faster than the speed of light.
but I'm sure in a couple of million years we will find a way.

Rayquarian

Quote from: Tahrann on August 18, 2010, 04:52:36 PM
[spoiler]
1. I believe that there is a God
2. I believe that Jesus is the son of God
3. I believe in the Trinity
4. I believe that the Bible is true
5. I believe that the world is at least 10k years old
6. I believe it is stupid people doing stupid things that makes religion look bad
7. I believe that Texas is bigger than France
8. I believe that the love of money is the root of all evil
9. I believe that people don't want to change because they are afraid of it, even though they say that change is good
10. I believe that Phatyo will die first out of all of us[/spoiler]
I believe we have ten common beliefs.

Zero

Quote from: StarWindWizard7 on August 10, 2010, 09:33:59 PM
I believe that I'm truly a white guy trapped in a black guys body.

You should probably go to therapy bro, lol.

RX-78-2

Quote from: IhsoyOhcysp on August 14, 2010, 01:36:14 AM
-Organized religion has a place in the word just as any other institution has. It is, like every other human construct, a tool, and can be used for either good or evil purposes.
I very much agree. This is pretty much the reason for most of the misunderstanding and badmouthing of many religions. The evil purposes part, that is.
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

Magnum

I believe that I am a beautiful butterfly!

Oh Vesperia, never change... never change

bluaki

Quote from: SkyMyl on August 18, 2010, 12:39:09 PM
You believe that you're immortal?
Phatyo = idiocy;
The concept of idiocy is an essentially immortal concept (as much so as humanity itself), so in turn, there will always be some phatyo-ness in the world. Or something like that.

Quote from: Kaz on August 20, 2010, 11:45:05 PM
i believe that you are all homosexual
But only when you're around <3

JrDude

Wow, it seems the forum likes Phatyo even less than they like me. It makes me feel loved.
Oh wait, no it doesn't.
[move][/move]
Dude .

phatyo

Quote from: JrDude φ on August 24, 2010, 05:08:30 PM
Wow, it seems the forum likes Phatyo even less than they like me. It makes me feel loved.
Oh wait, no it doesn't.
I could honestly care less lol. I love coming here and seen how much people don't like me :3 Just makes me want to come back more and more.

Level_9_Chao

Quote from: phatyo on August 18, 2010, 10:15:00 PM
No, but I do think that as we are advancing in technology and science that longer life spans are possible. Maybe and I'm hopping they do find a vaccine that could stop aging all together before our life spans are up. But thats just hope. If you can't tell I wasn't really serious there -__-

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=1968

But hey, I'm hoping too. 8)
Become a Failbook fan: Victory Road :3

The Game Boy Pocket.
Put it in your back pocket.
Sit down and it breaks.

Lotos

1.  I'm atheist / agnostic.  This quote sums it up.

Quote from: Richard Dawkins -- The God Delusion (pg.178)(2006)"A God capable of continuously monitoring and controlling the individual status of every particle in the universe cannot be simple. His existence is going to need a mammoth explanation in its own right."

2.  As for marriage, the term is relative.  If you can get "married" in other religions, then someone is obviously wrong about the exact guidelines for a marriage is.  I'm also sure if we can divorce, then same-sex marriage would not "ruin the sanctity of marriage".

3.  Homosexuality?  I don't personally know if it's a choice or not, but if animals participate in homosexual behavior, then it must be natural.  This comic should have you thinking.

4.  Evolution is true as there's enough solid evidence for it (for example, the drug-resistant illnesses) and I would assume that there is extra terrestrial life as this universe is big enough for it, not that we'll find it in my lifetime.

5.  Power corrupts, as does money.  The Congressmen, for example: "I'll do this and that and other stuff".  They never get it done.  Also, as I was talking with Custom about Japan's copyright laws according to posts on /jp/, the lobbying done in the US is bullpoop.  All you need is a lot of money and a US Constitution expert, and you can probably get any law passed that you want.

6.  Back to religion, I consider it to have psychological benefits on people.  I heard praying to "God" helps people cope.  However, we do have the morons who believe what "God says" (their interpretation, if you will) is the absolute truth or their religious beliefs should be the moral standard and think that they can go through whatever means (legal or not) to make it morally acceptable to the average person.

(tl;dr, religion can actually be healthy.  Extremists' beliefs though, are not)

7.  Abortion should be legal, under certain criteria.  Incest, rape, or pregnancy complications that can kill the mother would be a valid reason for an abortion.  Every female can get ONE abortion without having to fulfilling the above criteria, which I'll call the "I intercourse ed up!  Plz save me!" abortion.  Those would all be covered by insurance.  Any other ones would be paid out of pocket.  If you can't pay, you can't have additional "I intercourse ed up!" abortion(s), EVEN if you can't afford the child (and hopefully, no one would be needing them the first time around).

8.  Though good & evil are relative, my opinion is somewhere along these lines:

Quote from: IhsoyOhcysp on August 14, 2010, 01:36:14 AM
-Most of humanity is not naturally good or evil, but selfish, fickle, and ignorant. It is up to us to overcome these natural flaws to become better, more productive people (or to give into them and become evil).

Oh, one last thing.

Quote from: JRose on August 10, 2010, 08:13:54 PM
I believe:

-that you can't prove the Bible false, only mistake its writings.

Oh, go to /r/atheism and they'll love to prove otherwise.

JrDude

Quote from: Lotos on August 25, 2010, 07:34:28 PM
Blah
Wow, I've heard so many things about dumbass Christians making Christianity look bad, by a lot of the stuff you said, besides the regular stupid stuff some atheists say, you seem like the dumbass atheist/agnostic that makes atheists/agnostics look bad.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Turok

Quote from: JrDude φ on August 25, 2010, 08:17:40 PM
Wow, I've heard so many things about dumbass Christians making Christianity look bad, by a lot of the stuff you said, besides the regular stupid stuff some atheists say, you seem like the dumbass atheist/agnostic that makes atheists/agnostics look bad.
These kinds of statements make me sad for humanity.

[spoiler]
QuoteSo is it Capcom JPN or US screwing the PC release over? Both?
QuoteNUKE THEM FROM ORBIT, IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO BE SURE

PC GAMERS

If you don't give us what we want, we'll nuke you from orbit.
[/spoiler]

bluaki

Oh yeah, I probably should put some more serious beliefs like Lotos did:
1. I'm atheist. In my personal opinion, the existence of a god simply seems unbelievable and against my logic.
2. Regarding Christianity and its beliefs:
  • I guess some belief can be healthy, like Lotos said. But not necessary at all.
  • Using religion as an excuse to advocate hate is a terrible thing.
  • The morals spelled out by religion shouldn't be necessary for people who actually have a personal sense of morality. While I don't need a book to tell me that it's bad to intentionally harm/kill others out of greed, some "morals" believed by some religious groups are over-the-top and shouldn't be implemented in law. Homosexuality is a good modern example.
  • Marriage tends to be a religious-affiliated idea, I'm fine with that, and churches can choose what kind of people they're willing to marry. But when the law cares about marriage, a "legal marriage" should be considered a separate entity that can be formed outside of religion and shouldn't be restrained by just religious morals. Technicalities like that shouldn't matter in casual speech; it's "he's married to that guy", not "he's the civil union partner of that guy".
  • People who do believe religion should be free to believe things outside the Bible and maybe even accept that the book is probably not 100% correct; they shouldn't use "the bible said so!" as the only reason to ignore, let alone hate the idea of, practically accepted ideas like evolution. Some old-fashioned thinking fueled by this excuse can even inhibit humanity's progress.
  • Religious beliefs of a parent should not be forcefully shoved onto a child to such a point as to complain about science classes that place science on a higher priority than religion. School and other serious not-religiously-affiliated institutions shouldn't cater to religion in ways that negatively impact their purpose, but minor catering such as dress code exceptions (headwear) and holidays (particularly ones where many students would be absent otherwise) are fine.
3. Abortion shouldn't be needlessly outlawed, but financial support shouldn't be excessive. A full-grown adult's life should definitely be placed on a higher priority than a fetus. I don't care enough about the subject to think about the details, but I guess I'll go with something like what Lotos said.
4. Space is vast enough; there's probably extraterrestrial life somewhere. But the chances of it ever having any impact on humans is ridiculously low (let alone the chances of it being like what we consider an animal or humanlike instead of simple single-celled life) and is a concept that should be mostly left to sci-fi.
5. JrDude's last post in this thread is silliness and shouldn't be taken seriously.

Level_9_Chao

I believe that Lotos' idea of the one free "I Intercoursed Up!" abortion is both hilarious and reasonable.

Hilarious, mainly because "intercoursed" is a hilarious word filter.
Become a Failbook fan: Victory Road :3

The Game Boy Pocket.
Put it in your back pocket.
Sit down and it breaks.

Lotos

Quote from: JrDude φ on August 25, 2010, 08:17:40 PM

You sound like a homophobic Christian.  Also, that last part of my post wasn't insulting J, he's a cool guy, I wouldn't want to flame him.  However, there are factual errors in the Bible.  Maybe if people took it as a general guideline for their morals and realize that times change, the world would be a little better, not just think of it as a textbook.

Quote from: JrDude φ on August 10, 2010, 05:14:38 PM
- that being homosexual is usually a choice, and usually they don't think it's wrong so don't choose to go back (EX: a girl wants attention so she becomes a lesbo to get it | someone had something wrong and were unable to get the opposite sex to be attracted to them, so they changed for an easier time for romance)

Is that a fact?

- that some homosexuals didn't choose it, but something happened in their life that made them confused thus attracted to the opposite sex (like how some sick fetishes come to people, something happened thus making them like that)

I think biology would play a part in it too.

- that those who were raised to believe something else may be saved because it wasn't their choice to believe in what they believe (this could apply to religion as well as homosexuality and a few other things)

Are you assuming all other religions are false and if one was given the choice to convert to another religion, everyone would pick Christianity?

Also, I chose not to believe in Christianity, being raised as a Lutheran.  My parents took me out of Church when a whole lot of stuff was going on in my life -- it's not like I enjoyed going anyway.  I'd probably still be a Lutheran if I wasn't taken out of Church.

- that age doesn't matter in romance, as long as the younger is actually at a good age to be mentally prepared to actually understand what's happening (EX: 8 year olds would not be ready) and you both feel the same way and are prepared to be treated how you will likely be treated.

I would agree with you, but the thing is, it's easy to manipulate young people to get them to do what you want.  They also wouldn't know what "love" is at the age of, oh say, 14.  They'll think they're in love and have sex with their partner.  They might not regret it then, but when they're older, they will probably regret it.