News:

<+Ice> i have a dildo factory line run by old women in my garage

Main Menu

A Tribute to the Sega Dreamcast

Started by DSWiiMaster42, June 11, 2008, 07:15:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DSWiiMaster42

Ah yes, the Dreamcast. Without it, there would be no such thing as online game consoles or cel-shaded graphics. It even had some of the greatest game commercials ever (look up Dreamcast Seganet commercial or Crazy Taxi commercial on YouTube and you'll see what I mean) where the characters from the games were living inside the Dreamcast, and the DC was like their own little world.

DC ran on a 128-bit processor (which is also what PS2, GC, and old Xbox used, but DC's graphics were slightly better than PS2) and the controller is similar to the Xbox/Xbox 360 controller because Sega helped Microsoft on the Xbox controller design from what I heard (notice the button colors and the trigger buttons).

It even had the best 3D Sonic games ever, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2. Plus, the console had some of the best fighting games, and it had Jet Grind Radio, the first game to use cel-shaded graphics. Cel-shaded graphics is 3D models with outlines surrounding them like a cartoon character. Back then in 1999/2000, JGR's graphics blew everyone away because no one had seen anything like that before.

Anyway, in other words, without the Dreamcast, who knows where we'd be in gaming today. So be happy it exists, because it caused a big evolution in gaming.

Thanks to mackormoses for this badass sig!

SSBB friend code:1719-2939-0479
Characters I use: Ike (mostly), Sonic, or Captain Falcon
If you want to battle, please PM me.

Xbox Live gamercard: SegaSonic127

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/Slashrulez724 (my old account got deleted)

Tupin

I loooooooooove my Dreamcast, the only bad thing about it is that you can't play online anymore.

Plus, it's easy to hack and play homebrew/emulators on it.  :P

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

DSWiiMaster42

Quote from: Tuppyluver1 on June 11, 2008, 11:06:58 AM
I loooooooooove my Dreamcast, the only bad thing about it is that you can't play online anymore.

Plus, it's easy to hack and play homebrew/emulators on it.  :P
Yeah, you could just put in a backup disc and it would boot without a modchip. Good ol' Sega. I wish the new consoles allowed you to play backups without having to put in a modchip, we went through TWO, repeat, TWO PS2s just trying to put modchips in them, so I got a slimline one today.

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/Slashrulez724 (my old account got deleted)

*Kagome_Higurashi*

I never had a dreamcast. I got a ps instead
Candy-Stripe a cancer ward. It's not my problem.

DSWiiMaster42

Quote from: *Kagome_Higurashi* on June 12, 2008, 04:17:26 AM
I never had a dreamcast. I got a ps instead
To tell you the truth, I never owned a DC either because I started out with a PS1. I just use a DC emulator actually.

guido123

Click here to level up my card!

ssbb  guido123 - 0989-2935-7676

Zovistograt

I never had one, but I kinda wish I did.

The controllers were cool.
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Kaz

I actually just got one recently for $30. It came with two controllers, 1 VMU, and these games:

Marvel vs. Capcom
Dead or Alive 2
Wild Metal
Star Wars Demolition
Virtual On
Power Stone

He also threw in his PS1 with a controller, memory card, and Darkstalkers. Cool stuff. It's nice to have friends who don't want their old games and consoles.
Quote<+Mithos> My mom grounded me for being gay.

Unknown0

Great deal Kaz.

The Dreamcast is truly an amazing system.  I never played it once though during the generation it lived.  :(  Too bad.  Oh well, I've got a chance to experience every now and then.  It would have been mine if it weren't for some kid who jumped in front of me at a yard sale last year and swiped it up.  A Dreamcast, with two controllers, this one thing (I forget if it was a memory card or something), The Dreamcast Internet disc, and Sonic Adventure.  For $5.  Sad day it was for me.

Tupin

Quote from: Unknown0 on June 18, 2008, 07:19:19 PM
Great deal Kaz.

The Dreamcast is truly an amazing system.  I never played it once though during the generation it lived.  :(  Too bad.  Oh well, I've got a chance to experience every now and then.  It would have been mine if it weren't for some kid who jumped in front of me at a yard sale last year and swiped it up.  A Dreamcast, with two controllers, this one thing (I forget if it was a memory card or something), The Dreamcast Internet disc, and Sonic Adventure.  For $5.  Sad day it was for me.
That sucks so much.

I would pay $5 just for the Internet Disc.  :(

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Shujinco2

I wish I owned a DC. Though Pre-played is selling them for $30!

Too bad I'm saving up for Brawl. :(

extraz

The Sega Saturn had an online service before the Dreamcast did....so did the SNES BSX, the 64DD and even the SNES/Genesis had the Xband.

Unknown0

Quote from: Shujinco on June 20, 2008, 01:29:55 PM
I wish I owned a DC. Though Pre-played is selling them for $30!

Too bad I'm saving up for Brawl. :(
Don't have a job?

Java

I never owned a Dreamcast and I think I only played it once, if at all.

I don't really know much about it either, except that it had funky controllers. :D

DSWiiMaster42

Quote from: extraz on June 21, 2008, 09:28:01 AM
The Sega Saturn had an online service before the Dreamcast did....so did the SNES BSX, the 64DD and even the SNES/Genesis had the Xband.
I thought the Saturn was too poopty to have an online service XD (because the Saturn had very few good games that were exclusive). Thanks for telling me though.