News:

Change is coming. HOPE CHANGE UNITY

Main Menu

What kind of game is Zelda?

Started by Neerb, August 03, 2008, 05:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you had to pick one, what type of game would you say Zelda is?

Action-Adventure
34 (91.9%)
RPG
3 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Neerb

What kind of game is the Legend of Zelda series?  I always say Action-Adventure, but people [who don't even play video games as much as I do] are always saying it's an RPG.  So, I want to see what you people think it is.  And no, there's no "both" option, this is an "either/or" question.

JrDude

It can't be an RPG.
RPGs are way different, in RPGs, you go around like action/adventure, but touch an enemy and you go into some battle scene that contains more than just the enemy you touched. Then everyone is in an idle position and you pick your attacks and stuff.
[move][/move]
Dude .

SkyMyl

Quote from: JrDude on August 03, 2008, 06:07:04 PM
It can't be an RPG.
RPGs are way different, in RPGs, you go around like action/adventure, but touch an enemy and you go into some battle scene that contains more than just the enemy you touched. Then everyone is in an idle position and you pick your attacks and stuff.
This.

But I know someone who could put up an arguement.

guido123

Click here to level up my card!

ssbb  guido123 - 0989-2935-7676

Neerb

Quote from: guido123 on August 03, 2008, 07:40:20 PM
i say it is both

I specifically said it was an either/or question.  Pick one.

Also, I don't think it has to be turn-based to be an RPG; for example, I believe Kingdom Hearts is considered an RPG.  However, I do think that you need some kind of stats--most RPGs have overall levels, along with health, attack, magic, defense, etc. in addition to held items that can increase these stats.  Zelda games have HP and occasionally a MP meter with a single upgrade, and that's it; there isn't nearly enough customization for it to be an RPG.

JrDude

Quote from: Smash Bro 25 on August 03, 2008, 08:14:24 PM
i say it is both

Also, I don't think it has to be turn-based to be an RPG; for example, I believe Kingdom Hearts is considered an RPG.  However, I do think that you need some kind of stats--most RPGs have overall levels, along with health, attack, magic, defense, etc. in addition to held items that can increase these stats.  Zelda games have HP and occasionally a MP meter with a single upgrade, and that's it; there isn't nearly enough customization for it to be an RPG.
Yes it does.
[move][/move]
Dude .

thunderhero4

Quote from: JrDude on August 03, 2008, 08:20:46 PM
Quote from: Smash Bro 25 on August 03, 2008, 08:14:24 PM
i say it is both

Yes it does.
Children of Mana, Fable, Fable 2. There are pleanty RPGs without the turn based thing.

RPG means growing up levels or collecting items with alot of side quests.

Zelda is both, Cory is right.

QingXin

People, get it through your skulls. RPG doesn't refer to Final Fanasy turn based battles... RPG stands for "role-playing game".

You play the role of a character, and play as them, as if they were a second you. It doesn't necessarily mean turn-based battles...

In this case, you play the role as Link, and improve and upgrade him as you progress (if you choose to do so).

PsychoYoshi

Action-adventure with some residual characteristics of an RPG.

guido123

ya thats right im right it is both and for the info im CORY

Click here to level up my card!

ssbb  guido123 - 0989-2935-7676

Cornwad

Easily Action/Adventure. Sure it has some RPG elements, but nowhere near enough to consider it an RPG.

_GanonMetroid_

Zelda II could be considered an RPG; every other Zelda game is Action/Adventure, and any argument to the contrary is either weak or horribly flawed.

Java

I'd say Action/Adventure.

Sure, there might be some elements, but as Cornwad said, there's not enough to consider it an RPG.

Friendly Hostile

RPG's pretty much distinguish themselves by having a leveling and battle system, something that Zelda lacks.

Rudo

There are some RPG elements, 1 or 2 at the most, but not enough to consider it an RPG. Heck, you don't even grow levels.