Main Menu

Changes

Started by Super, September 06, 2008, 09:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smashin

I won't mind the changes as long as you remember the Boys/Girls Puberty board.

L10

0o!f

Kilroy

1984 WAS SUPPOSED TO BE AN INSTRUCTION NOT MANUAL
"yes you are anusface, but i am better than!!" - taw, steam forums
 FOR NSF MASCOT

Riosan

[21:51]   <Smashin>   No one likes a sad fat kid.
[21:51]   Mystic has left #nsider (Leaving.)

Friendly Hostile

Qsmash

Friendly Hostile

L10

Quote from: Riosan on September 07, 2008, 03:02:04 PM
Doc Gerbil's World?
For once I have to 100% agree with Rio
0o!f

Dill

Quote from: Friendly Hostile on September 07, 2008, 12:51:57 PM
Quote from: Dill on September 07, 2008, 12:44:22 PM
As far as centering our forum on one topic, I don't see why that's important. Yeah, it gives us appeal to new members, but does it really help us? Centering our forum on a single (or even a few) topic(s) would cut our activity more than it already is. I'm all for switching the boards around a bit and making some stickied threads, but the way I see things, members should shape the forum in the way they already converse, not the other way around.

The problem with this current forum, like many similar to it, is that it easily stagnates from having such a broad possibility.  If you're simply a general discussion forum (which this place is basically, just with a heavy Nintendo influence) no one joins, since there's nothing to incite them to join.  Everything here can be found elsewhere, usually in a better form.  When you focus on one or two topics, discussion is refined down, your community then can form a niche that will attract people to it.  No one goes out to look for a general discussion forum.  They usually look for a forum catering to a certain interest.  Why do you think people joined the original NSider over other forums?  It wasn't for the general discussion of Power On.  It was to discuss specific Nintendo games and products.  Power On was more something that kept people there afterwards (or drove them away, your call).  Either way, a forum with a focus stands a far better chance at not only surviving, but it allows for it to have a chance to thrive.

It's just a matter of whether you want new members being happy and having places to post, or if you want the current members to be as chatty as they are. My point is that if we change the boards around a lot, the members we have now maynot be as active as they already are. But that's just self-experience. When I post on a forum that's just been completely redone, it feels like I'm joining a whole new forum.

Kaz

Quote<+Mithos> My mom grounded me for being gay.

Syncopathic

Friendly Hostile

Quote from: Dill on September 07, 2008, 06:22:42 PM
or if you want the current members to be as chatty as they are.
This here is where a problem develops.  They don't remain as chatty as they are.  If you have nothing but a core group on a forum, with little to no new members being added to that core, they eventually run out of steam for discussion.  Unless you are able to bring in some new members somewhat regularly, or provide a proper focus for a site, it will eventually stagnate.

Nayrman

Friendly Hostile

Quote from: Kaz on September 07, 2008, 09:32:33 PM
Quote from: Friendly Hostile on September 07, 2008, 03:17:27 PM
Quote from: Qsmashbro on September 07, 2008, 03:14:25 PM
Quote from: Riosan on September 07, 2008, 03:02:04 PM
Doc Gerbil's World?
Any ideas for a slogan?
It's Doc Gerbil's World.

this is the best idea nsf has ever concocted
We can have a market and use lint for currency.

Zovistograt

I don't see any problem with the activity here, so I don't see the point in these upheavals.
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)