Main Menu

MK Banned? Now featuring: Arguements about competitive play.

Started by Playat, November 06, 2008, 08:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should MK be banned from tournies?

Yes
8 (22.9%)
NO
27 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 35

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Nayrman on November 27, 2008, 11:45:32 AM
Quote from: wiiboychris on November 27, 2008, 11:35:41 AM
Quote from: Cogs on November 27, 2008, 11:11:57 AM
Because items are random and destroy anything competitive.
So...what could happen if you only set Mr. Saturns? :D
No one would use them so what would be the point of setting them?
0 - point is here

0- you are here
OBJECTION!

"Slams hands into the desk."

Mr. Saturns could be projectile blockers, such as Samus' Charged Shot or Link's Bombs!

Nayrman

Quote from: wiiboychris on November 27, 2008, 01:34:39 PM
Quote from: Nayrman on November 27, 2008, 11:45:32 AM
Quote from: wiiboychris on November 27, 2008, 11:35:41 AM
Quote from: Cogs on November 27, 2008, 11:11:57 AM
Because items are random and destroy anything competitive.
So...what could happen if you only set Mr. Saturns? :D
No one would use them so what would be the point of setting them?
0 - point is here

0- you are here
OBJECTION!

"Slams hands into the desk."

Mr. Saturns could be projectile blockers, such as Samus' Charged Shot or Link's Bombs!
All the more reason to not use items...

FruitFlow

I've scanned through a few of the previous posts and am surprised as to what most of you said.
But still, everyone has they're own opinions.

N/E ways, I think that the banning of other characters is pretty retarded and unnecessary.
If they feel the need to have to go through with that, then they might as well not hold these tournaments at all.

I never really understand why people choose to remove a certain character from play, based on just stats.
First they say that Ike is the most broken, and should be removed from tourneys, and now they're going on Meta Knight saying he shouldn't have the privilege of being in a tourney.

And for them to say that he's unbeatable is blasphemy.

Diddy can beat MK badly. (Even without mind games)
Snake can beat MK. (Not to well with aerials though)
Even Zelda, a defensive type, can beat MK.

There's more but there's no need for me to post them.

So, should MK be banned?
It all varies based on your own opinions.

"Many people see technology as the problem behind the so-called digital divide. Others see it as the solution. Technology is neither. It must operate in conjunction with business, economic, political and social system."

Dawei

No one EVER said Ike was broken. Only retarded scrubs who played with items on high on stages like big blue thought that. Everyone who ever went to tourneys sat there and lol'ing at the people who thought Ike was good.

EnergyKnight

Quote from: Dawei on November 30, 2008, 07:54:08 PM
No one EVER said Ike was broken. Only retarded scrubs who played with items on high on stages like big blue thought that. Everyone who ever went to tourneys sat there and lol'ing at the people who thought Ike was good.

Yeah pretty much. B-over and Smashed their way to a lose.

Also, call me Jim

jnfs2014

Quote from: SSBBRAWLIN on November 29, 2008, 02:41:33 PM
I've scanned through a few of the previous posts and am surprised as to what most of you said.

N/E ways, I think that the banning of other characters is pretty retarded and unnecessary.
If they feel the need to have to go through with that, then they might as well not hold these tournaments at all.

I never really understand why people choose to remove a certain character from play, based on just stats.
First they say that Ike is the most broken, and should be removed from tourneys, and now they're going on Meta Knight saying he shouldn't have the privilege of being in a tourney.

So, should MK be banned?

Diddy?Zelda? Oh, I guess you're talking
about crappy Level9 CPU's.

HTA!

Quote from: tollhouse2006 on November 26, 2008, 04:29:02 PM
Quote from: HTA on November 26, 2008, 01:41:54 PM
Are you kidding it's the slowed down speed in brawl that makes it more fair than melee.  why do you think sakurai designed brawl more for beginners than in melee.  If you're gonna call me a massive failure why don't you support your opinion by explaining your logic instead of giving a poor inequality.   

How does Speed = Fair then?
Slowing something down doesn't make it more fair.... not even a little. D:

HTA!

Quote from: JNeedForSpeed2014 on November 30, 2008, 08:28:20 PM
Quote from: SSBBRAWLIN on November 29, 2008, 02:41:33 PM

So, should MK be banned?

Diddy?Zelda? Oh, I guess you're talking
about crappy Level9 CPU's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w3LzYlw5bU&feature=related
:|

Dawei

M2k has no diddy experience. Even so, I'm willing to bet brawlin's reason had nothing to do with that vid, or m2k's vid vs Ninjalink.

tollhouse2006

Quote from: HTA on December 01, 2008, 03:33:04 PM
Are you kidding it's the slowed down speed in brawl that makes it more fair than melee.  why do you think sakurai designed brawl more for beginners than in melee.  If you're gonna call me a massive failure why don't you support your opinion by explaining your logic instead of giving a poor inequality.   

Holy crap.  I give up.  There is no point in explaining.  I just don't give a poop
Friend Code: 2622-1690-4267  Finally have wifi

Dawei

Quote from: tollhouse2006 on December 05, 2008, 07:51:41 PM

Holy crap.  I give up.  There is no point in explaining.  I just don't give a poop
No, please, explain. Since I have no idea how the hell slowing it down makes it more fair.

tollhouse2006

Quote from: Dawei on December 05, 2008, 09:34:53 PM
Quote from: tollhouse2006 on December 05, 2008, 07:51:41 PM

No, please, explain. Since I have no idea how the hell slowing it down makes it more fair.
Well, how does speeding it up make it fair?  There's got to be one selected speed.  I know you all have the opposite opinion.  But I don't see how faster combat makes anything more fair.  I'm not even sure if I'm the best one to explain this but I'll try anyway.  I just recently played both melee and brawl and compared the speed, damage, and the physics of the combat systems.  I played as melee Fox and did so many things in such a short amount of time that it was insanity compared to what's possible in brawl.  The brawl fox is so much easier to avoid but he still has that faster speed compared to most of the roster just like in the last two games.  The same fast characters from melee are still fast and the slow characters are still slower than the fast characters.  There's not much to complain there.  Brawl's combat isn't even slow it's fast but not quite as fast as melee.   By slowing the speed down it gives all the players time to react making it more fair and fun to play.  I guess it's an issue to hardcore gamers but I don't mind it and I'm hardcore.  It's just harder to get used to for others.  I didn't put into account that if you guys wave dashed in melee all the time.  If you're comparing that speed to what you can do in brawl that's another story.  I don't think I explained this the best but I hope you get the idea.  I'll keep posting until my point is proven.  But I have a few questions for everybody here.  Why is Brawl unfair?  What makes it that way and why do you think melee is more fair than brawl?      Answer that.  I am anxious to read what you think.

Oh and before anybody besides Dawei responds to this post try supporting your opinion instead of insulting me and making a complete ass of yourself.  I am so sick of all this crap I get for thinking differently.  It's just a video game after all.   
Friend Code: 2622-1690-4267  Finally have wifi

Nayrman

What makes Melee more fair than Brawl?
Metaknight 0_0;;
The speed may be "slower" (which may or may not make it more fair, but thats debatable to you), but the priority for hte moves (especially Metaknight's moves all around and Snake's Tilts, etc.) are horrendously bad. Also there are more "how did they not catch these!?" sort of things like Falco's and DDD's chaingrabs.
Also, don't complain about wavedashing since it was doable by all characters, but some were just better at it than others (like SHFFL'ing was).

HTA!

Brawl is unfair for a few reasons.

1. There are many more infinite's than in Melee (Only one or 2 if I remember correctly) making Ness and Lucas completely unusable in competitive play. DDD has standing infinite, not to mention an insane chain grab. Almost everyone can jab/projectile block. Wario is also raped by infinite's, and he is 8th on the tier list. Falco can rape you on a fresh stock via chain grab, and I'm of the opinion that he could win a match with only his blaster (unbelievably gay).

2. Lower speed lets the spammable moves, such as mach tornado or laser, harder to escape and easier to use in a match

3. There is a god tier. That is basically a travesty for a game that strives to level the playing field. MK is in a class of his own, with no other character even coming close to how much he dominates play.

4. Priority is either very high or very low, making some characters (MK and Snake) almost impossible to mount an offense against. When you attacks have 0% chance to hit the opponent, something is wrong.

5. Even with combo's gone, they are replaced with ridiculously powerful moves that take no time to execute and have barely any lag (MK's aerials, Snake's tilts, Numerous characters jabs)

6. Mind Games are in my opinion less useful. The slow pace of battle ruins any chance of pulling one over on your enemy, as there is simply too much time for them to see through what you were going to do. The increased speed really helped develop the mental aspect of smash, which has now been lost thanks to legions of high tier users and lower speed.

7. Tourney's are no longer a test of skill, but rather a test of who knows their top tiers more. It used to be that almost any character on the Melee Roster could feasibly win a tourney, or at least advance to the upper rounds. No more... I can almost guarantee that you will never see a G-dorf or C Falcon winning a tourney ever again. That sure sounds fair huh?

Now for an opinion. Lowered speed, and Brawl in general, seemed to suck the fun out of smash. No longer are the matches intense and tests of true skill. They are simply who can pick the better character for the match-up. Sure skill and advanced techs are still a huge part of the match, but pick anyone in the top tier and you instantly get a huge advantage over your opponent.

DededeCloneChris

So, if this board is going to stop with the posts...I have a final question...

Should Meta Knight be banned from tournaments, yes or not?

It seems the answer is "no" by far.

Maybe it IS possible to beat a pro MK, but that should take a lot of time since nobody seems to find a strategy to beat a pro.

Or I'm mistaking?