<+Clu> Silverhawk79 is just wrong for me

Main Menu

Metroid is Dead.

Started by Jono2, January 17, 2009, 04:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jono2

You heard it here first.

Supporting Points:

-Since the release of MP3, there have been absolutely no further announcements about a new metroid game.  Following both MP and MP2, we knew there were more coming. 

-not only have they not announced a new game, they haven't even talked about Metroid, excluding Brawl.

-MP3 was not a financial success in comparison to other games in the series.

-It's been a year and 4 months since MP3 was released, and no word.  This screams "Super Metroid Hibernation" to me.

-Retro Studios has announced that they want to work on other things besides Metroid.  If Nintendo wanted to continue making metroid games, they would have to look somewhere else.

Unless we hear about metroid at E3 this year, be prepared to wait 6 or more years for the next installment.

Quote from: LinkXLR on January 30, 2008, 09:10:54 PM
Quote from: famy on January 30, 2008, 08:36:30 PM
is big willy unleashed a will smith game

...I'm not even gonna touch this one.

SteamID: Lazylen

Gwen Khan

where else can the story go?

HTA!

Quote from: Commissar Torgo on January 17, 2009, 04:36:02 PM
New story arc obviously.

I would rather have Samus act as a real Bounty Hunter, hunting down criminals/non-criminals.

Gwen Khan

Quote from: HTA on January 17, 2009, 04:38:09 PM
New story arc obviously.

really? I'd never thought of that, and as of the last game all the Metroids are dead, can it really be Metroid with out Metroids?

Jono2

Quote from: Commissar Torgo on January 17, 2009, 04:40:17 PM
New story arc obviously.

really? I'd never thought of that, and as of the last game all the Metroids are dead, can it really be Metroid with out Metroids?

well, Metroid Prime ignored Fusion's existance.

Metroid
Metroid Prime/Pinball
Metroid Prime Hunters
Metroid Prime 2
Metroid Prime 3
Metroid 2
Super Metroid
Metroid Fusion

Metroid Zero Mission doesn't belong anywhere, as it is Samus telling her story of what happened during the events of the original Metroid at an undisclosed time.  When this happens is undisclosed.

Metroid 2, Super, and Fusion were really all part of the same storyline, a trilogy if you will.

MP, MP2, MP3 were a trilogy, MPH thrown in.

Metroid is really the only singular game.

There are quite a few spots where they can throw in games.  In chronological order:

1. Before the events of Metroid.
-Samus as a child, samus on a training mission, samus as a bounty hunter (not employed by the federation).

2. Between Metroid and Metroid Prime (easily the biggest place where they can put games).
-Samus after her first official mission during the events of Metroid (Metroid is her first official mission).  Could include the story of her ship, further encounters with Ridley, and how that rivalry grew.

3. Between Metroid Prime 2 and Metroid Prime 3
-If they chose to do this, it would almost certainly be MPH2 (do not want).

4. Between the events of Metroid Prime 3 and Metroid 2:RoS
-Another large gap in the timeline.  Could include samus going to multiple planets and eradicating the metroids, ending with her going to SR388 (where Metroid 2 takes place, former home of the chozos, metroid birthplace).  Could include further hunting missions.  MPH3?  The story of her new ship, exploration of a planet to learn about both her past and the history of the chozos?

5. After Metroid Fusion
-The existance of metroids on the space station in orbit around SR388 indicates that either:
-They have gained the ability to make new metroids
-Samus didn't kill all of the metroids in the events of M2, SM, MF.
And as a result of the former, there are likely more metroids in space somewhere.  Also, all of the clones of samus from MF (forget what they're called, haven't played it since I lost the game like... 3 years ago -_-) couldn't have died then and there.

Even if all of the metroids are dead, Samus is, essentially, the last remaining metroid, meaning that a game could be set where the pirates are trying to capture you, you try to escape, etc.  (I would love a game where the pirates have finally caught Samus, you have to escape, and you discover that their base is really an ancient chozo planet).
Another option is a game where you're not fleeing the pirates, but the federation instead.  You've just quite possibly destroyed all of the metroids in the galaxy, the federation didn't want that (likely that all they wanted was complete control over them), they want revenge, and your head.  Fugitive.

Questions that need to be answered in the series yet:
-What happened to the chozo?
-Clarification on the events of the Metroid Prime trilogy
-What's the Federation's real intent?
-Which is Samus's real first mission?  Metroid or Metroid Zero Mission?  (There are theories out there that say that Metroid Zero Mission is in fact the first game in the series, and that Metroid is far further along in the timeline).
-was SR388 really destroyed in the explosion of the space station?
-why were the chozo by far the starfaring race with the furthest reach?  Were they violent, did they assault the other races of the universe?

There's plenty left in the story to be told.

HTA!

New story arc obviously.

Since it was obvious, I knew you had already thought of it. D:

DededeCloneChris

Well...that makes 3 dead franchises now...

"Throws Metroid along with Mother and Star Fox series in a pile."

Tupin

Quote from: wiiboychris on January 17, 2009, 06:49:33 PM

You forgot Wave Race, Pilotwings, and F-Zero.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Tuppyluver1 on January 17, 2009, 06:58:47 PM
Quote from: wiiboychris on January 17, 2009, 06:49:33 PM

You forgot Wave Race, Pilotwings, and F-Zero.
...Not sure about the first 2...oh well.

"Throws Wave Race, Pilotwings and F-Zero as well in the pile."

Neerb

New story arc obviously.

I would rather have Samus act as a real Bounty Hunter, hunting down criminals/non-criminals.

THIS --^
I'd suggest something along these lines (I know it's been done in other games, but I can't think of any):
You basically have free roam, with several different planets to go to.  Also, unlike every other Metroid, where all civilations seem to be extinct, this one will include several cities with actual modern (err, futuristic) civilizations to talk to and explore.  As you go through the game, you basically try to find wanted criminals (or non-criminals, if the pay is good enough  ;) ) and try to find, defeat, and return (or kill) them to earn money, which you can then use to upgrade your suit and weapons.  As you go along the game, certain bounty hunts will open up new parts of the story (whatever it is), but you can still go after normal ones too.

JrDude

It's weird, I liked MP3 a lot, and it was my first Metroid game that I ever played through, but after I got stuck, I never really felt like playing again, I mean, I figured out what to do off the internet, but I just never felt like going back...
It's sad how the game won't continue (or so it seems), it might of pushed me to finish.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Jono2

Quote from: JrDude on January 17, 2009, 07:54:30 PM
It's weird, I liked MP3 a lot, and it was my first Metroid game that I ever played through, but after I got stuck, I never really felt like playing again, I mean, I figured out what to do off the internet, but I just never felt like going back...
It's sad how the game won't continue (or so it seems), it might of pushed me to finish.

I got pushed off of Metroid Prime like that, because I was scared of the Chozo Ghosts.

I didn't end up finishing it for about 4 months or so, and it wasn't until a year after that that I discovered just how much I loved the game.

The Seventh

Don't scare me by saying it's DEAD.  I do think, however, there's going to be another super metroid hibernation.  Speaking of Super Metroid, I really want to play it again.
Quote from: Jono2 on January 17, 2009, 05:28:12 PM
New story arc obviously.

well, Metroid Prime ignored Fusion's existance.

Metroid
Metroid Prime/Pinball
Metroid Prime Hunters
Metroid Prime 2
Metroid Prime 3
Metroid 2
Super Metroid
Metroid Fusion

Metroid Zero Mission doesn't belong anywhere, as it is Samus telling her story of what happened during the events of the original Metroid at an undisclosed time.  When this happens is undisclosed.

Metroid 2, Super, and Fusion were really all part of the same storyline, a trilogy if you will.

MP, MP2, MP3 were a trilogy, MPH thrown in.

Metroid is really the only singular game.

There are quite a few spots where they can throw in games.  In chronological order:

1. Before the events of Metroid.
-Samus as a child, samus on a training mission, samus as a bounty hunter (not employed by the federation).

2. Between Metroid and Metroid Prime (easily the biggest place where they can put games).
-Samus after her first official mission during the events of Metroid (Metroid is her first official mission).  Could include the story of her ship, further encounters with Ridley, and how that rivalry grew.

3. Between Metroid Prime 2 and Metroid Prime 3
-If they chose to do this, it would almost certainly be MPH2 (do not want).

4. Between the events of Metroid Prime 3 and Metroid 2:RoS
-Another large gap in the timeline.  Could include samus going to multiple planets and eradicating the metroids, ending with her going to SR388 (where Metroid 2 takes place, former home of the chozos, metroid birthplace).  Could include further hunting missions.  MPH3?  The story of her new ship, exploration of a planet to learn about both her past and the history of the chozos?

5. After Metroid Fusion
-The existance of metroids on the space station in orbit around SR388 indicates that either:
-They have gained the ability to make new metroids
-Samus didn't kill all of the metroids in the events of M2, SM, MF.
And as a result of the former, there are likely more metroids in space somewhere.  Also, all of the clones of samus from MF (forget what they're called, haven't played it since I lost the game like... 3 years ago -_-) couldn't have died then and there.

Even if all of the metroids are dead, Samus is, essentially, the last remaining metroid, meaning that a game could be set where the pirates are trying to capture you, you try to escape, etc.  (I would love a game where the pirates have finally caught Samus, you have to escape, and you discover that their base is really an ancient chozo planet).
Another option is a game where you're not fleeing the pirates, but the federation instead.  You've just quite possibly destroyed all of the metroids in the galaxy, the federation didn't want that (likely that all they wanted was complete control over them), they want revenge, and your head.  Fugitive.

Questions that need to be answered in the series yet:
-What happened to the chozo?
-Clarification on the events of the Metroid Prime trilogy
-What's the Federation's real intent?
-Which is Samus's real first mission?  Metroid or Metroid Zero Mission?  (There are theories out there that say that Metroid Zero Mission is in fact the first game in the series, and that Metroid is far further along in the timeline).
-was SR388 really destroyed in the explosion of the space station?
-why were the chozo by far the starfaring race with the furthest reach?  Were they violent, did they assault the other races of the universe?

There's plenty left in the story to be told.
You do pose some good points.  However, will nintendo listen?  Doubt they will.
meh

Jono2

no.  they won't.  metroid doesn't make good money for the effort it costs them, which is why the franchise is dead for now.

when they get desperate again, if they ever get desperate again, it'll pop out again (Super Metroid (to compete with sega), Metroid Prime (to sell GCs), and Hunters (to compete with the PSP, to launch Wifi) are all examples of this)

Silverhawk79

I really hope not. Though, even if it is, I can still go back and beat them all. I never did beat MP1, MP2, or MP3...because screwy stuff keeps happening with my saved games. -_-; I think my MP1 data got saved over, and I think I'm just lost in MP2. MP3, I think I died before I could save. Maybe that can be my summer goal. :o