Main Menu

Metroid is Dead.

Started by Jono2, January 17, 2009, 04:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jono2

Quote from: Silverhawk79 on January 21, 2009, 08:35:26 AM
I really hope not. Though, even if it is, I can still go back and beat them all. I never did beat MP1, MP2, or MP3...because screwy stuff keeps happening with my saved games. -_-; I think my MP1 data got saved over, and I think I'm just lost in MP2. MP3, I think I died before I could save. Maybe that can be my summer goal. :o

MP and MP2 are undebateably better in terms of the "metroid" sense.  MP3 has more action, but requires far less thinking (not that MP or MP2 really require a ton of thinking anyways)

MP feels more like classic metroid than MP2, and you have more freedom.  MP2 is more enclosed, has arguably more atmosphere, and is more difficult.

but my favorite will always be MP.

Quote from: LinkXLR on January 30, 2008, 09:10:54 PM
Quote from: famy on January 30, 2008, 08:36:30 PM
is big willy unleashed a will smith game

...I'm not even gonna touch this one.

SteamID: Lazylen

The Seventh

Quote from: Jono2 on January 20, 2009, 11:40:32 PM
no.  they won't.  metroid doesn't make good money for the effort it costs them, which is why the franchise is dead for now.

when they get desperate again, if they ever get desperate again, it'll pop out again (Super Metroid (to compete with sega), Metroid Prime (to sell GCs), and Hunters (to compete with the PSP, to launch Wifi) are all examples of this)
Well, geez, if they actually gave it DECENT advertisement, maybe it'd sell a significant amount more, that'd actually make it worth it.

Another point in which ninty dissapoints me.
meh

Doodle

I think they should go with another 2D Metroid game. Like New Super Mario Bros, but with real 3D and not sprites.
I'm sure that would sell well.
YEAH

Titus Andronicus

I've been on a Metroid binge since about two weeks ago, and decided I'd replay Metroid Fusion. But it wasn't enough for me, so I decided to play Metroid Prime, only doing all the sequence breaking that I could. Then I realized the real sequence breaking was in Super Metroid, so I downloaded it off the VC and beat that last night.

I'd hate to see the series go, but at the same time, Nintendo does have to work on producing more new and exciting series. With more and more sequels, there really is no where to go in plot, and sometimes you just have to put a series to rest before it jumps the shark.
Tramps like us, baby we were born to die.

Jono2

Quote from: SolidSNK on January 25, 2009, 09:16:42 PM
I've been on a Metroid binge since about two weeks ago, and decided I'd replay Metroid Fusion. But it wasn't enough for me, so I decided to play Metroid Prime, only doing all the sequence breaking that I could. Then I realized the real sequence breaking was in Super Metroid, so I downloaded it off the VC and beat that last night.

I'd hate to see the series go, but at the same time, Nintendo does have to work on producing more new and exciting series. With more and more sequels, there really is no where to go in plot, and sometimes you just have to put a series to rest before it jumps the shark.

yep.

they need to make more 2Ds though.  2D metroids ARE the best.

Super Metroid is recognized as the best metroid game for a reason.  It epitomizes what the series is about: Exploration in a hostile environment.  It's all about exploration.  You're wandering around, generally there's no indication of a boss coming up (something i loved about Spore Spawn, even though he's skipped).  It's suddenly sprung on you and you have to deal with it.

You can basically go anywhere you want whenever you want in the game, and you have to deal with the consequences of digging too deep too fast.  That's what I love.  If you know how to get through an area with 1 health left, you can do it. This is done as well as it could be done in 3D in Metroid Prime, limited a whole lot in Prime 2, removed in Hunters and Prime 3.

Titus Andronicus

Quote from: Jono2 on January 25, 2009, 09:42:24 PM

yep.

Super Metroid is recognized as the best metroid game for a reason.  It epitomizes what the series is about: Exploration in a hostile environment.  It's all about exploration.  You're wandering around, generally there's no indication of a boss coming up (something i loved about Spore Spawn, even though he's skipped).  It's suddenly sprung on you and you have to deal with it.

You can basically go anywhere you want whenever you want in the game, and you have to deal with the consequences of digging too deep too fast.  That's what I love.  If you know how to get through an area with 1 health left, you can do it. This is done as well as it could be done in 3D in Metroid Prime, limited a whole lot in Prime 2, removed in Hunters and Prime 3.
To say that Nintendo still has the magic it had in 1994 when it created Super Metroid would be ridiculous. Metroid Fusion has shown us that they have completely forgotten the greatness of Super Metroid when it gave linearity and pretty much told whenever a boss was coming up. Nothing was surprising except for the Metroids, which did absolutely nothing except give the game a final boss. It was a sad excuse to give the game more story, and I really don't like Metroid Fusion in general for that (among other things of course).

They even went so far as to insult people who would try to sequence break by telling them that they did so and cannot go any further with the inclusion of the "secret message". Basically a big cock slap to the face by Nintendo with that. The Diffusion Missles are needed for nothing except for that part, and when you manage to find a way to skip them, they tell you that, oh, hey, you tried skipping them, but seriously go back and get them.

Metroid died the day Fusion came out.

Jono2

Quote from: SolidSNK on January 25, 2009, 09:47:14 PM
Quote from: Jono2 on January 25, 2009, 09:42:24 PM

yep.

To say that Nintendo still has the magic it had in 1994 when it created Super Metroid would be ridiculous. Metroid Fusion has shown us that they have completely forgotten the greatness of Super Metroid when it gave linearity and pretty much told whenever a boss was coming up. Nothing was surprising except for the Metroids, which did absolutely nothing except give the game a final boss. It was a sad excuse to give the game more story, and I really don't like Metroid Fusion in general for that (among other things of course).

They even went so far as to insult people who would try to sequence break by telling them that they did so and cannot go any further with the inclusion of the "secret message". Basically a big cock slap to the face by Nintendo with that. The Diffusion Missles are needed for nothing except for that part, and when you manage to find a way to skip them, they tell you that, oh, hey, you tried skipping them, but seriously go back and get them.

Metroid died the day Fusion came out.

fusion came out the same day as Metroid Prime, which in my opinion, was a large step forward for the series.  They just kept stepping back after that though.

Fusion left a bad taste in my mouth.  you were forced to get a missle tank (though it's possible to skip it and get 0%), something you shouldn't have to do in a metroid game.

However, despite that, Fusion is still better than Metroid Prime 3 and Hunters.  I'm not sure I would put it above Metroid Prime 2 though, as Prime 2 still had a tiny bit of exploration in it.

Fusion was a huge insult, but it was still a decent game.

Titus Andronicus

Quote from: Jono2 on January 25, 2009, 11:21:13 PM

fusion came out the same day as Metroid Prime, which in my opinion, was a large step forward for the series.  They just kept stepping back after that though.

Fusion left a bad taste in my mouth.  you were forced to get a missle tank (though it's possible to skip it and get 0%), something you shouldn't have to do in a metroid game.

However, despite that, Fusion is still better than Metroid Prime 3 and Hunters.  I'm not sure I would put it above Metroid Prime 2 though, as Prime 2 still had a tiny bit of exploration in it.

Fusion was a huge insult, but it was still a decent game.
I suppose I can agree with this. It was much more enjoyable than Prime 2 in my opinion because of the stupid weapon system (ammo isn't fun :() and the fact that it still reminded me of what Metroid was about. Prime 1, I'll agree, is amazing, so I guess I can't say it died that day, but it was clear Nintendo didn't know it was doing. Retro made Prime, and they had the right idea in mind. Granted that Prime is almost exactly like Super Metroid on a 3D level (with the awesome exception of Phazon Mines), it still showed that it was still doable.

I guess I'm done ranting. D:

Jono2

Even though the Phazon Mines were more linear (if you aren't trying to skip stuff), they're a good example of what Metroid can be in a linear fashion.  MP2's ammo system killed the game, as well as the doors.  Instead of the doors, they should have put in obstacles that you need "item X" to pass.

Titus Andronicus

Quote from: Jono2 on January 26, 2009, 04:56:20 PM
Even though the Phazon Mines were more linear (if you aren't trying to skip stuff), they're a good example of what Metroid can be in a linear fashion.  MP2's ammo system killed the game, as well as the doors.  Instead of the doors, they should have put in obstacles that you need "item X" to pass.
I meant that Phazon Mines was completely original, and I loved that about it. Chozo Ruins = Brinstar, Magmoor = Norfair, Orpheon on Tallon = Wrecked Ship, parts of Phendrana = Maridia, Impact Crater = Tourian.

Phazon, however, has no real equivalent, and I love that. The linearity was necessary, especially with the lack of save rooms along the way.

makuta

Reading from an earlier post, I have to two points you guys:

- Metroid and Metroid: Zero Mission are the same thing, its just that Metroid: Zero Mission had more stuff added (Like with Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario Advance)

- Metroid Fusion is set after ALL the games in the series (So far)
To be heard, speak up. To be seen, stand up. To be appreciated, shut up.

Jono2

Quote from: makuta on January 26, 2009, 06:52:43 PM
Reading from an earlier post, I have to two points you guys:

- Metroid and Metroid: Zero Mission are the same thing, its just that Metroid: Zero Mission had more stuff added (Like with Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario Advance)

- Metroid Fusion is set after ALL the games in the series (So far)

Metroid: Zero Mission has no concrete place in the timeline.

In the game, samus states that this is a retelling of her story of what happened during the events of Metroid.

And because it's the retelling of a story, it goes both nowhere and everywhere in the timeline, except before the events of Metroid (though some would argue that Zero Mission is samus's actual first mission and that Metroid doesn't occur until far later in the timeline, but that guy's a looney).

Beatnik

Quote from: Jono2 on January 17, 2009, 05:28:12 PM
well, Metroid Prime ignored Fusion's existance.
What are you talking about? Metroid Prime takes place before Fusion, to aknowledge Fusion's existance wouldn't make sense.
"I like cigarettes, Mrs. Taggart. I like to think of fire held in a man's hand. Fire, a dangerous force, tamed at his fingertips. I often wonder about the hours when a man sits alone, watching the smoke of a cigarette, thinking. I wonder what great things have come from such hours. When a man thinks, there is a spot of fire alive in his mind-and it is proper that he should have the burning point of a cigarette as his one expression..."

Jono2

Quote from: Beatnik on January 27, 2009, 01:34:30 PM
Quote from: Jono2 on January 17, 2009, 05:28:12 PM
well, Metroid Prime ignored Fusion's existance.
What are you talking about? Metroid Prime takes place before Fusion, to aknowledge Fusion's existance wouldn't make sense.

I have no idea what I was thinking when I wrote that, but everything after that is coherent thoughts.

trust me. -_-

PsychoYoshi

I'm all for more 2D Metroid, but no more intercourse ing Speed Booster. Ever.