News:

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

Main Menu

Osama Bin Laden: Dead.

Started by The Riddler, May 01, 2011, 08:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Super

I don't see why America is rejoicing and whatnot. Terrorism isn't gone, and there will just be another crooked bastard to take Osama's place.

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Super on May 02, 2011, 06:25:53 AM
I don't see why America is rejoicing and whatnot. Terrorism isn't gone, and there will just be another crooked bastard to take Osama's place.
This the guy who caused big turmoils ten years ago, of course is a motive to celebrate. And knowing the army, they'll hunt the next evil guy down for sure.

Shujinco2

It's nice to celebrate because we know we're making progress. Slow progress. But progress.

But you are correct. The Middle East has always been like this. With and Without Osama. Just because one man is dead, it doesn't mean everything is hunky dorey. It might not ever be.

FruitFlow

Terrorism isn't gone, and there will just be another crooked bastard to take Osama's place.
Very true.
"Many people see technology as the problem behind the so-called digital divide. Others see it as the solution. Technology is neither. It must operate in conjunction with business, economic, political and social system."

Macawmoses

America intercourse  yeah? Because the US spent so much time in Afghanistan -- the only time they were there was to drop bombs on Allied forces.

The Seventh

Like I've said...it shows that those bastards can't hide forever...

Yeah, someone else will take his place, but it shows we will get them.
meh

JrDude

And That's how the USA outdoes a Royal Wedding.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Cornwad

Quote from: Neerb on May 02, 2011, 05:28:39 AM
W00T! Go America! And apparently Pakistan? He's finally dead!
Uh... no. Not Pakistan. They were the ones hiding him in the first place.

QuoteI don't see why America is rejoicing and whatnot. Terrorism isn't gone, and there will just be another crooked bastard to take Osama's place.
That's a pretty narrow minded way of looking at it. His death is more symbolic than anything else. It essentially establishes that al Qaeda no longer poses any threat to the US security, and gives closure to the 9/11 attacks. Even though they haven't exactly been much of a problem since 9/11 as far as homeland security was concerned, the fact that their leader was able to evade our government for so long wasn't exactly a comforting thought. Now that he is fallen, the moral of those who followed him is shattered, and that form of terrorism may die down in time. Osama being able to survive was a major reason for them to feel hope for their cause. Now he's dead, so there goes that. Couple that with the fact that another incident like 9/11 isn't going to happen any time soon, and al Qaeda is no longer a major enemy in any sense of the word like say, Iran or North Korea. Not many people are celebrating because terrorism is gone, that doesn't make any sense. That's like saying people only celebrated when Hitler died because it meant that dictators will be gone forever.

Neerb

Quote from: Cornwad on May 02, 2011, 03:33:36 PM

I thought I saw something about Pakistan helping, like they supplied some information and a place to launch the helicopters from... or did America just do that without Pakistan knowing?

Doodle

And now we have to deal with the ignorant nationalism for a while.
YEAH

Super

That's a pretty narrow minded way of looking at it. His death is more symbolic than anything else. It essentially establishes that al Qaeda no longer poses any threat to the US security, and gives closure to the 9/11 attacks. Even though they haven't exactly been much of a problem since 9/11 as far as homeland security was concerned, the fact that their leader was able to evade our government for so long wasn't exactly a comforting thought. Now that he is fallen, the moral of those who followed him is shattered, and that form of terrorism may die down in time. Osama being able to survive was a major reason for them to feel hope for their cause. Now he's dead, so there goes that. Couple that with the fact that another incident like 9/11 isn't going to happen any time soon, and al Qaeda is no longer a major enemy in any sense of the word like say, Iran or North Korea. Not many people are celebrating because terrorism is gone, that doesn't make any sense. That's like saying people only celebrated when Hitler died because it meant that dictators will be gone forever.
Yet the war continues.

JrDude

Watch there be a Saw moment and the dead body isn't really Osama.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Macawmoses

What exactly is it showing the terrorists? That 10 years later the US might kill you after you've killed thousands.

I'm shaking in my boots.

Cornwad

Quote from: Neerb on May 02, 2011, 03:42:12 PM
I thought I saw something about Pakistan helping, like they supplied some information and a place to launch the helicopters from... or did America just do that without Pakistan knowing?
Pakistan had little to no knowledge.

Quote from: Super on May 02, 2011, 04:08:17 PM
Yet the war continues.
Do you want it to immediately end the second he gets shot?

Quote from: Macawmoses on May 02, 2011, 04:45:15 PM
What exactly is it showing the terrorists? That 10 years later the US might kill you after you've killed thousands.
It's better than showing them that they can get away with it. And they won't kill thousands any more. Once you kill the head, the rest eventually crumbles. They no longer have a seemingly invincible figure to rally behind and idolize. He's dead.

The Seventh

Quote from: Cornwad on May 02, 2011, 04:56:49 PM
Pakistan had little to no knowledge.
Do you want it to immediately end the second he gets shot?
It's better than showing them that they can get away with it. And they won't kill thousands any more. Once you kill the head, the rest eventually crumbles. They no longer have a seemingly invincible figure to rally behind and idolize. He's dead.
Also, we managed to pick up some sensitive intel on them, as well.

I am not the one to be an ignorant nationalist, but there are some reasons to rejoice beyond the fact the intercourse er is dead.
meh